Monday, December 04, 2006

Morons on Ice

No, this is not a new ice show by Scott Hamilton.

Yesterday while I was driving into town I noticed that the St Croix River had finally iced over. Which immediately reminded me that Tom and I needed to start our no-money bet over when the first idiot would fall through the ice and drown. I know - it's sick and macabre to speculate on such things. But we do.

Anyway, a few minutes later I drove past White Bear Lake, one of the biggest lakes around here, and there were two people ice-skating!!! The lake had a crust of ice beginning on the shoreline and extending 30 to 40 feet to the open water of the lake. These fools were skating right next to open water! WTF were they thinking!?! Morons!!!

Okay, I know that part of the lake and shallow water extends pretty far out at that point, but it's not guaranteed - there are always little random deep spots. Plus if you go through the ice even if you can still stand it is freaking cold! Your winter clothes get so heavy when they're water-logged, and climbing out of a hole in the ice is freakingly hard. Can we say 'death by hypothermia' children? Yes we can.

Utter, utter morons.

12 comments:

mm said...

OMG, that scares me to death. Just the thought leaves me breathless. Wow.

mtw said...

I'm all askance at the idea of dying from hypothermia in a river!

Puffy said...

There's a little ice skating rink at Universal Studios. Many places bring in fake snow for kids to play in.

Swami said...

Oh My Heck.

I just received my cookie package from the lovely Puffy! There's various chocolate dipped cookies, some homemade candy stuff and a loaf of zucchini bread. I love zucchini bread!

*munches a cookie*
*resists opening zucchini bread til Tom gets home*

Good stuff! Um... excuse me. I need to go into the kitchen now and whip my elves. They were going to start making cookies tomorrow. Stupid elves.

Swami said...

THANK YOU, PUFFY!

~Nutz said...

Ooooh! I got a little box with zucchini bread and chocolate dipped cookies too! I also got some other things. I think Puffy is my Secret Santa!!!

The stuff is deelish!

*whips Swami's elves into shape and yells...* GET TO BAKING! ;-)

Puffy said...

*looks around* Is everyone dipping cookies into chocolate and making zucchini bread this year?

We have ice skating rinks at some of the malls, too. I hope nobody skids out and smashes right into the food court.

lights said...

It's time for us to start that pool up here too Swami. When will the first snowmachine go through the ice?

While I do like to take a fast rip down the lake once in a while just to see how fast I can make my machine go before I scare myself, it is only done when the lake has at least a foot of ice on it.

There are miles and miles and miles of trails on land around here. I don't need to ride on the ice.

Bravie said...

We do the same sort of thing every long weekend at the lake. We have no money bets on how many drunk idiots will be airlifted off the lake. *shakes head*

Just an FYI, it's not smart to jump off of a 30 foot surface into a lake while you are wearing a life jacket. You won't feel your back snap but we will hear it.

arkie said...

I fell through the ice into a pond when I was 6 or 7. My mom had told my brothers and me to stay off the ice because it was frozen solid enough to hold us. I decided to test it for myself one day, and went down to the pond alone. I was walking around the edge of it, thinking that my mom was just being mean, and not letting us have fun. I got to where the water was deeper (and the bank was a LOT higher) and suddenly the ice broke and I was in water up to my waist. I thought I was never going to be able to pull myself out. Then I had to go back to the house and face my mom.

Anonymous said...

I got a packie from Puffy! I got a packie from Puffy!

And I have never fallen through the ice.

Swami said...

We're twins, Arkie. I fell through pond ice when I was about 8 years old. Luckily, my friend Billy was there to help pull me out because I was in water up to my shoulders so I couldn't get much of a jump start to get myself out.

Carey - ow, ow, ow. I never thought of people jumping while in a lifevest. What a stupid tragic thing!

Lights, in Menomonie Wisconsin they park a car on the ice of Lake Menomonie every winter so people can guess exactly when it will go through the ice in the spring. I think there's an 'official' betting pool with a portion of the money going to the city park fund or something like that. Anyway, they have the car already hooked up to a chain so they can just pull it out before summer.