Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Nosey Christmas Questions

1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)
a. none
b. 1 – 10
c. 11 – 25
d. 26 – 50
e. more than 50

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?
c. get drunk & make people cry?
d. get drunk & flirt inappropriately?

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?

7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

13 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

1. How many cards do you send out?
d. 26 – 50
2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?
Display on table, then toss in Jan.
3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)
4-5 Christmas, 1 New Year's
4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage AND
b. mix & mingle painlessly
5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.
We've sort of hashed it out over the years. My family always gets Christmas Eve. His divorced parents each get to choose an alternate time and we go to them. They are ministers & rather tied to the church at Christmastime.
6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?
Used to, again will when kittens are older. Likely be real.
7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Chris and I exchange on Christmas morning.
8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?
Primarily secular.
9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?
Appetizers for Christmas Eve, my annoying SIL whining to open gifts right away upon arriving at each in-laws.
10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?
Aren't we all?

~Nutz said...

1. b. 1 – 10

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

They go on the mantle.

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)

1 or 2.

4. At a holiday party do you:

b. mix & mingle painlessly.

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

Nah. We just sit where our butts get parked.

6. Do you put up a tree?

Artificial ...because we used to buy potted trees when we lived in a house where we could plant them, but now we don't have the big yard, so I don't want to kill them.

7. When do you open your presents,

Christmas morning.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it...

primarily a secular one.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

Not really.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

No, silly! I am Nutz. :D

Seana said...

1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)

c. 11 – 25

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

I display them haphazardly on top of the wainscotting (sp?) and behind the family Christmas photos on the family Christmas photo wall.

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)

This year? 3. Usually 4.

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

No. We all get along on my side and on DH's side, I just suck it up and smile at the nephew's woman.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?

Yes. Artificial. It goes up Dec.1

7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

One "hiding" present on Christmas Eve, then the rest on Christmas morning.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?

Entirely secular, but I have told the Nativity story for context.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

We go to see the light show at Niagara Falls. There's also one in a neighbouring city. And we go visit the house of the kooky guy who does his whole place up. The whole place it just covered. There's a little display area where you can see his hydro meter.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

No. It would bug me too.

lights said...

1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)

d. 26 – 50 I think the final tally was 48 this year.

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

So far they're just sitting on my desk. Sometimes I hang them on a length of red or green yarn along the wall.

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)

About 4 or 5.

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?
Absolutely.
d. get drunk & flirt - sometimes, but not inappropriately. *grin*

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

Dave's parents are gone so we always spend Christmas with my family now. Even before they passed, we'd have Christmas dinner with my parents because MIL wasn't big on setting a time for dinner. And then there was the whole "Dave being allergic to her gazillion cats" thing.

Now, our biggest dilema is who in my family will host the big day. Lately we have been going to my Mom's because we know how much she loves to have us all at her house. Plus, she's retired and has so much more time to prepare than us. I do like having it at my house once in a while so I can wake up in my own bed on Christmas morning. In 28 years of marriage I think I've only woke up in my own home about 3 times on Christmas morning.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?

Artificial. It goes up the first weekend of December.

7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

Christmas morning. We open them one person at a time so that we all get to see what everyone got. It makes the fun last a little longer. Even the dogs get a turn.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?

Secular.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

My Mom's rule is that if you say something that's not nice during the holidays, you have to sing a carol. I often do a lot of singing.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

No more than the rest of us.

Monstah said...

Hi Swami. Happy belated birthday. I am here to answer your very important questions.

1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)
a. none
b. 1 – 10
c. 11 – 25
d. 26 – 50
e. more than 50

More than 50. Funny thing is, I get a lot of cards that include whimsical letters updadting me on what the sender has been up to over the past year and it always leaves me feeling perplexed about what I would write about if I actually got motivated enough to send out such a letter.

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

I display them- only to have All Stah knock them down.

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)


This year? Zero. I am going through a spot of ante-partum depression and I do not feel like going to parties or socializing. In fact, if I did not have my son to take care of, I would pretty much dig a hole somewhere and crawl into it until Feb.

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?
c. get drunk & make people cry?
d. get drunk & flirt inappropriately?

I bring a gift for the hostess- always. I tend to mix and mingle with a glass of wine that I never sip from.

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

No. We alternate years between my parents and my in laws. It is pretty cut and dry. Although, what bums me out about going to my in laws is that have a turkey on Christmas day and I always feel like it is Thanksgiving redux. The holidays are too close together to be having turkey on both days.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?

Both. In the playrom we put an artificial tree with a muppet on the top and all sorts of silly, family ornaments. In the formal living room we have a real tree that is decorated with delicate bulbs and the such.


7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

Christmas Eve. It is a favored European tradition.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?

A little bit of both.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

In my family, we have seven different types of fishes and pasta on Christmas Eve. Old Italian tradition.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

Yes but in a very charming way.

arkie said...

1) More than 50, but it's strictly business.

2) Display

3) One

4) I guess B. I've never made anyone cry at the office party, and believe me, there is NO ONE from my office with whom I would want to flirt.

5) Nope. I'm single, so it's a moot point.

6) No, I don't bother.

7) It depends on when my sister's in-laws have their Christmas stuff, because we work around that.

8) Secular

9) Other than my mom making Magic Cookie Bars, no. Unless you count my dad getting on my last freakin nerve.

10) But the real question is, are you a walnut or a pecan?

mtw said...

1. My DW sends out maybe 20 cards??? I think it's stupid that she sends them to close family members, but oh well.

2. Cards we receive are usually put on display.

3. Maybe two, at the most. Usually zero.

4. I would mix and mingle painlessly and none of the others.

5. The whole who goes where thing has worked itself out pretty nicely considering we each have two sets of parents. Everybody knows their place in the pecking order.

6. We go to the mountains and cut down two real trees from the tree farm every year. One is usually about 8' tall and the other is 12-14' tall.

7. Mostly Christmas morning. Some get opened Christmas Eve at my SIL's house.

8. Secular for me.

9. Lots of little traditions. Nothing extra special though.

10. Yes. No, wait! Ummm, yes. :)

Swami said...

Arkie, I'm a pecan. Walnuts are fine in a Waldorf slalad but otherwise I don't like them. Pecans, on the other hand, I will eat in almost anything.

Swami said...

To answer my own questions,


1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)
--This year I sent out just over 60. I was kind of surprised when I counted them. Most were personal, about 15 were business-related.

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?
--I display. I tape them over the top of the doorways in our main hallway. (I can't dangle them down the sides of doors because that constitutes a "cat toy".

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)
--Two or 3. My husbands work party is always in the first week of January, well the party in a hotel with entertainment & family invited. He also has an at-work work party before xmas (today, in fact) but that is just for the office people.

4. At a holiday party do you:
--Usually, I
a. bring a food or beverage if one is requested or if we're going to grandma's
b. mix & mingle painlessly at smaller events. I hate big parties where I barely know anyone & have more problems mingling there.


5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.
--No. Once we had kids we put our foot down (feet down?) and said that our children needed to have Christmas in their own house, unrushed. So that's what we do.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?
--Real. I am so jealous of all you people with two trees! I would so do that if I had room!

7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
--Christmas morning, after mom has had her coffee, lol.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?
--Completely secular, I am kind of a pagan.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?
--We used to always go ice skating on Christams Day, but that has fallen to the wayside for the past few years. If there is snow Tom & Max will make a snowman.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

--Of course you're not nuts. Talking to yourself? Now that would be nuts!!!

Anonymous said...

1. How many cards do you send out? (including family, friends & business people)
a. none
b. 1 – 10
c. 11 – 25
d. 26 – 50
e. more than 50

Last year I didn't send any. I usually send 11 - 25.

2. Do you display the cards you receive or just pile them up?

Display them - this year via tape on the wall.

3. How many holiday parties do you go to? (including work & family events)

2-3.

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?
c. get drunk & make people cry?
d. get drunk & flirt inappropriately?

I suppose C is for me. I only do that at staff meetings. *grin* I usually mix and mingle painlessly. I relish in the role of guest and not host.

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? Explain.

Nope. Only his family is involved. We usually host.

6. Do you put up a tree? Real? Artificial?

Real. But I swear I am going to buy a pre-lit at the end of the year. I am sick of having to do the lights.

7. When do you open your presents, Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

Christmas morning.

8. If you celebrate Christmas is it primarily a religious experience? Or a secular one?

Secular.

9. Do you have a special family tradition sometime during the holidays?

Not really, but we are trying to develop them.

10. I can’t think of a good ten and not having a round number bugs me. Am I nuts?

Absolutely.

~Nutz said...

Doh! I misunderstood your #5!

As far as "who goes where", we used to have some issues, but not many because Mr. Nutz is Jewish. Generally, when we were younger, we always went to his best friends house on Christmas eve (for a traditional Italian celebration) my family on Christmas. Since his friend's mom, his sister and two of my sisters have moved out of state, I've become the hostess and whoever is available (mom, his bro, my bro & his fiance, friends) comes over.

Zombs said...

1. a. none this year.

2. I put them in a card holder thingy.

3. This year? Just one. :(

4. usually dessert. Depends how I know the hosts. Sometimes food.


5. For Christmas it is not since he have Christmas and Christmas Eve. Thanksgiving and Easter create problems.

6. REal. We should be looking tomorrow night and putting up on Saturday.

7. We go to family on Chirstmas Eve and open, then presents from Santa are Christmas morning.

8. primarily now secular but I would like to make it a little more religious. DH and I are still finding our way on that one.

9. WE are trying to build some naturally. I have the gingerbread house and making ornaments. We will add more as the kids get older.

10. 100 is a better round number. More curves.
5.

momma said...

1. Normally, c. 11 – 25. However, I have yet to send out any this year.

2. All Christmas cards go into the sleigh on the coffee table.

3. This year, there was to be my office, the fire dept, the hospital's and each child's class party. All have been attended, except the fire dept party, which was cancelled due to the hostess having the flu.

4. At a holiday party do you:
a. bring a food or beverage?
b. mix & mingle painlessly?
c. get drunk & make people cry? - this only applies if the crying comes from my DH who is laughing so hard at me, tears are in his eyes.

5. Is the whole “who goes where” thing a big issue in your family? No. The kids go to their dad's as the divorce agreement says. I don't have much family, so that's a non-issue. We always make time somewhere around Christmas to go up to the farm.

6. It's a fake tree.

7. One present is opened on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas morning.

8. It's probably about 50-50 around here.

9. We have several.

10.If you are nuts, we all are. *shrug*