Now, why was I under the impression that "meatloaf" was two words? I have only made meat-loaf a couple of times- maybe twice? Mr. Monstah enjoyed it each time but I was somewhat perplexed when he brought ketchup to the table. Number one, if one must have ketchup at the table, it belongs in a silver bowl with a small serving spoon, never in the bottle. Number two, I can understand ketchup on a burger but is it necessary on meat-loaf? I confess, I do not know much about it. Strange. I like it enough but never think to make it. Maybe I will make some this week.
Onto the popovers. King Artur has a remarkably yummy and simple popover mix. I should make All Stah some popovers tomorrow. I think he would like that a lot.
I just checked and I have some King Arthur popover mix. If you can't get it in Minnesoti (I like saying it that way) I will mail you some. I think you would find it quite yummy.
When DH was told to cut back on the red meat, we switched to ground chicken. I now make meatloaf with ground chicken using a recipe I got on an Uncle Ben's stuffing box. It's surprisingly good, and pretty darn good cold the next morning for breakfast, too.
mmmm..meatloaf. Do you use the ketchup or do you make a gravy? I like both ways. I agree with SEana too...meatloaf is so good cold the next day. And yes I have had it for breakfast as well.
Monsty, I never heard of King Arthur mix. At first I thought it was a product only available in Feudal Monsty-world, but perhaps not. Popovers are eggs, milk & flour so I just make them from my kitchen staples supply. Is the mix stuff really superior? (I will look for King Arthur the next time I go to the grocer's.)
Seana I have never made meatloaf with chicken or turkey. I make chicken chili & chicken tacos all the time, but not meatloaf. (In the midwest, meatloaf is one word. Like hotdish.)
I put some ketchup into the raw mix, Zombie, but not onto the cooked meatloaf. Mr. Swami drowns his in ketchup.
Carey, popovers are nothing like donuts. They are muffin-shaped & baked in a muffin tin. In fact, they look rather like drunken muffins. You cook them in a really hot oven and the eggs & milk kind of explode in the heat so the popover bubbles up & tips while it cooks - thus the name. Popover. Ideally they are very crisp on the outside and very creamy & full of big air pockets on the inside.
Carey, they have hot-crisp shell and creamy center going for them. Cold popovers are very bland. Hot from the oven, ripped open & lightly buttered they are divine!
Okay look and if you cannot find it, I will send you some.
And Momma, Mr Monstah likes to pretend he is a Texan. Carey met him and she will back me up on this...there is no way that boy is rugged enough to pass for a Texan.
2 large eggs 1 cup whole milk 1 (light) cup of flour a little salt (maybe 1/2 tsp?)
Beat eggs just until the yolks are pretty much broken up, but don't over beat. Add milk & flour with salt. Beat until just blended.
Fill well-buttered muffin tins about 1/2 full and cook in a very hot oven (450') for maybe 12 - 15 minutes. Depends on how big your muffin cups are. (When the top looks nicely browned and they smell "right" then they are probably done.)
The oven must be hot! Also keep them in the middle of the oven, not near the bottom. If they don't "pop" then you over-mixed or the oven wasn't really hot.
Yay! I am going to make these tonight. Popovers Swami Style!
You know what? I just remembered we have a popover tin. It is a little bigger than a muffin tin. I will takae some pictures of my Popovers Swami Style and you can critique me.
I baste my meatloaf with a mix of ketchup and hot sauce partway through baking. I also put extra ketchup on mine while eating it.
Popovers are a weakness for me. Hot out of the over with butter...I can polish of six if I'd let myself. I usually make some cinnamon honey butter to boost the flavor content.
I, too, have a popover pan & love it! Way better than making them in muffin tins.
I have had a newfound obsession for meatloaf lately. Our local grocery (a family run place) has the most divine meatloaf. I have never raved about such a thing before.
Sadly, it gives Mr. Boo heartburn, and I will likely be giving it up on a regular basis.
I don't think I could ever do ground turkey or chicken. There's just something not quite right about it.
I forgot to say that the eggs & milk should be at room temperature, not cold from the fridge. And I probably said too much salt - I never measure it, just shake a little in my palm & then toss it in.
Popover pans have bigger cups than muffins, no? Then you might need to cook them a little longer, like turn the heat down to 350' and cook for another 10 minutes. In muffin tins I always skip that last part.
I want to say that the recipe I have calls for baking at high temp (450?) for around 20 minutes, then reducing the temp (350?) and baking for another 20-25. Hence, why I don't make them very often. But when I do? *snorfle*
23 comments:
You know, I was wondering what to do with the pound of hamburger I took out this morning. Meatloaf it is!
Thanks WiseSwami!
I'm making popovers too.
We likes popovers.
Now, why was I under the impression that "meatloaf" was two words? I have only made meat-loaf a couple of times- maybe twice? Mr. Monstah enjoyed it each time but I was somewhat perplexed when he brought ketchup to the table. Number one, if one must have ketchup at the table, it belongs in a silver bowl with a small serving spoon, never in the bottle. Number two, I can understand ketchup on a burger but is it necessary on meat-loaf? I confess, I do not know much about it. Strange. I like it enough but never think to make it. Maybe I will make some this week.
Onto the popovers. King Artur has a remarkably yummy and simple popover mix. I should make All Stah some popovers tomorrow. I think he would like that a lot.
I just checked and I have some King Arthur popover mix. If you can't get it in Minnesoti (I like saying it that way) I will mail you some. I think you would find it quite yummy.
When DH was told to cut back on the red meat, we switched to ground chicken. I now make meatloaf with ground chicken using a recipe I got on an Uncle Ben's stuffing box. It's surprisingly good, and pretty darn good cold the next morning for breakfast, too.
I thought a popover was like a donut?
mmmm..meatloaf. Do you use the ketchup or do you make a gravy? I like both ways. I agree with SEana too...meatloaf is so good cold the next day. And yes I have had it for breakfast as well.
Monsty, I never heard of King Arthur mix. At first I thought it was a product only available in Feudal Monsty-world, but perhaps not. Popovers are eggs, milk & flour so I just make them from my kitchen staples supply. Is the mix stuff really superior? (I will look for King Arthur the next time I go to the grocer's.)
Seana I have never made meatloaf with chicken or turkey. I make chicken chili & chicken tacos all the time, but not meatloaf. (In the midwest, meatloaf is one word. Like hotdish.)
I put some ketchup into the raw mix, Zombie, but not onto the cooked meatloaf. Mr. Swami drowns his in ketchup.
Carey, popovers are nothing like donuts. They are muffin-shaped & baked in a muffin tin. In fact, they look rather like drunken muffins. You cook them in a really hot oven and the eggs & milk kind of explode in the heat so the popover bubbles up & tips while it cooks - thus the name. Popover. Ideally they are very crisp on the outside and very creamy & full of big air pockets on the inside.
Apparently, I have no clue how to make a popover, or what one is.
Monsty Doll, Mr Monstah has roots in Texas. Ketchup or Ranch from the bottle MUST go on everything. *rolls eyes*
And, in my lack of thought, I meant to actually ask for a popover recipe, because that sounds so very easy. And I'm all about easy.
But do they have any flavor to them? It sounds very bland and I have trouble with bland foods.
Carey, they have hot-crisp shell and creamy center going for them. Cold popovers are very bland. Hot from the oven, ripped open & lightly buttered they are divine!
Okay look and if you cannot find it, I will send you some.
And Momma, Mr Monstah likes to pretend he is a Texan. Carey met him and she will back me up on this...there is no way that boy is rugged enough to pass for a Texan.
Popovers
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 (light) cup of flour
a little salt (maybe 1/2 tsp?)
Beat eggs just until the yolks are pretty much broken up, but don't over beat. Add milk & flour with salt. Beat until just blended.
Fill well-buttered muffin tins about 1/2 full and cook in a very hot oven (450') for maybe 12 - 15 minutes. Depends on how big your muffin cups are. (When the top looks nicely browned and they smell "right" then they are probably done.)
The oven must be hot! Also keep them in the middle of the oven, not near the bottom. If they don't "pop" then you over-mixed or the oven wasn't really hot.
Thanks, Monsty. I will look when I shop tomorrow.
Yay! I am going to make these tonight. Popovers Swami Style!
You know what? I just remembered we have a popover tin. It is a little bigger than a muffin tin. I will takae some pictures of my Popovers Swami Style and you can critique me.
I love meatloaf AND popovers!
I baste my meatloaf with a mix of ketchup and hot sauce partway through baking. I also put extra ketchup on mine while eating it.
Popovers are a weakness for me. Hot out of the over with butter...I can polish of six if I'd let myself. I usually make some cinnamon honey butter to boost the flavor content.
I, too, have a popover pan & love it! Way better than making them in muffin tins.
*giggles* at Monsty.
I have had a newfound obsession for meatloaf lately. Our local grocery (a family run place) has the most divine meatloaf. I have never raved about such a thing before.
Sadly, it gives Mr. Boo heartburn, and I will likely be giving it up on a regular basis.
I don't think I could ever do ground turkey or chicken. There's just something not quite right about it.
I forgot to say that the eggs & milk should be at room temperature, not cold from the fridge. And I probably said too much salt - I never measure it, just shake a little in my palm & then toss it in.
Popover pans have bigger cups than muffins, no? Then you might need to cook them a little longer, like turn the heat down to 350' and cook for another 10 minutes. In muffin tins I always skip that last part.
I want to say that the recipe I have calls for baking at high temp (450?) for around 20 minutes, then reducing the temp (350?) and baking for another 20-25. Hence, why I don't make them very often. But when I do? *snorfle*
{sings}.."I would do anything for love...
Oh, I would do anything for love
I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
No, I won't do that"
Thank Cod I got that out. Your blog has kept that song bottled up in me all day!
Because your mouth was full of meatloaf?
Post a Comment