Monday, May 14, 2007

Unschooling

This is the education my grandson is receiving.

First my daughter said that she wanted to home school him because her work and travel schedule are so erratic. This made sense to me. He's a bright, curious, cooperative boy and seems like a good candidate for home schooling.

Then DD said, well what we're really doing is called un-schooling. I had never heard of it. Whn I Googled I got info like this:

"This is also known as interest driven, child-led, natural, organic, eclectic, or self-directed learning. Lately, the term "unschooling" has come to be associated with the type of homeschooling that doesn't use a fixed curriculum. When pressed, I define unschooling as allowing children as much freedom to learn in the world, as their parents can comfortably bear. The advantage of this method is that it doesn't require you, the parent, to become someone else, i.e. a professional teacher pouring knowledge into child-vessels on a planned basis. Instead you live and learn together, pursuing questions and interests as they arise and using conventional schooling on an "on demand" basis, if at all. This is the way we learn before going to school and the way we learn when we leave school and enter the world of work."

I dunno. It sounds like dilettante learning to me. Maybe fine for KG, and maybe fine up until 3d grade or so. But after that? I think learning needs a direction. There's a lot of wonderful stuff you might never happen upon without a teacher providing some comprehensive introduction.

Evidently, unschooling is all the rage in home schooling circuits now.

10 comments:

momma said...

A friend of mine homeschools her son and I've never heard of this unschooling thing. In fact, I think (and please don't be offended by this) that this type of homeschooling is the easy/lazy way out. Most children do very well with direction based learning. And I would be very scared that my child might miss out on something do to my lack of involvement/direction.

kim (weltek) said...

*shudder* Wow, that's a little troubling. I'd never heard of this rage. Frankly, it's probably more a response to needing a descriptor to what many homeschooling parents are already doing.

I don't hate homeschooling, but I think it's difficult to do well. Learning cooperatives are about the only thing I can really go along with.

kim (weltek) said...

And I agree with momma.

Bravie said...

I saw a program on unschooling. I try to keep an open mind about things but honestly, I was a little disturbed about the unschooling program that I saw. It basically seemed as if children are left to learn life. Not becoming book smart but becoming life smart. I will admit that I pobably learned more after I graduated and by actually living. But I think the structred education played a part in my ability to learn and to associate.
I will not say that I am completely closed off to unschooling but I do find it to be a trend that might frighten me if it were to be done in the masses.

Bravie said...

By living, I meant...the children would not read about history in a history book. They would travel to places in the world and learn about history that way. I guess I sort of feel that aside from visiting, that a good curriculum should give them a base of what they are learning about when they travel.

Swami said...

I want to tell her that Hippies already tried this back in the 60s and 70s and it doesn't work for most kids. But then can I tell her anything? No. I think she has a pretty narrow outlook on life but she thinks she is a cosmopolitan citizen of the world.

So I keep my mouth shut. But - how will he get into a nice Ivy League school?

Swami said...

I learned so. darn. much. in school. And I had smart active parents who took me to concerts and historical places and plays and museums and everything.

Like, trigonometry has no place in my life. I learned it because of a teacher - and I loved it! It was a wonderful thing/viewpoint to grasp! There is some base level where trigonometry enriched my understanding of this physical world. Is my grandson going to stumble over trig somewhere? I don't think so.

I just feel sad.

~Nutz said...

I agree with momma. Kids have to have some limits, some direction and some guidelines or criteria to meet.

I think it's lazy too, but I totally agree that kids can learn huge amounts from actually visiting the places. I never appreciated history until I started seeing things with my own eyes. My son has had the advantage of seeing places like Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Valley Forge, Williamsburg, etc. and the payoff is that he's excelling in history class!

Jen said...

Heh. Yesterday I had written a comment that said "Damn Hippies" but I didn't want to offend you by saying that about your DD. :)

HistoryDetective said...

I was just going to stay quiet for fear of sounding judgmental, but I'll sit on the bench with the others who responded "lazy" in one form or another.