No midwest road trip is complete without seeing several giant roadside statues. This is Tom in the LeSeur Valley with the Jolly Green Giant. Ho ho ho!!! If you remember the old series of TV commercials that featured the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant - this is where they were filmed.

Here is Tom by one of the Buffalo Ridge windmills. This is what we really wanted to see in western Minnesota. There are hundreds of windmills, stretched over an area of a few miles where the prairie winds blow non-stop. Each tower costs about one million dollars to build. They make an intense, low level humming/whooshing noise as they spin. Seeing them en masse was way more fun than I expected. They're huge!
Can you see my little 6'2" hubbie standing at the base? We didn't see any "no trespassing" signs so we just drove on the dirt access roads right up to them.
Here are the blades laying on the ground, ready for the next set of towers. They are about 120 ft long.

9 comments:
Geez. It's a good thing you told me Tom was in the pictures! I would have never noticed he was there. *snort*
I think you need a new tagline for your license plates... "Land of 10,000 Lakes and Other Assorted Giant Things"!!! ;D
Why did you marry such a tiny husband?
I love giant things. When I was in Australia I saw the big merino sheep, the big pineapple, and the big macadamia.
My goal is to see the big perogy in Alberta. Now I want to see the Green Giant, too.
Holy crap that's a big giant!
I remember seeing hundreds of windmills in California many years ago. It was an awesome sight.
There's a big perogie in Alberta? I must find out where and see if I can see it next time I'm there.
If you click on the pictures, they are huge and you can see Tom quite well. What's the white thing on his head in picture # 1?
LOL! Tom looks almost invisible! Glad you pointed him out. Awesome pics!
Frodis, somewhere around Brainard MN there is ginormous Paul Bunyon and matching Babe (his blue ox.) They are huge! The midwest is full of colorful statues with giantism. I wanted to stop at a giant walnut somewhere once, but Tom put both hands on the steering wheel and went temporarily deaf.
Puffy, it's a baseball cap head-on so you can't see the bill at all.
Awesome pics. Love the Giant. *giggle*
Post a Comment