Thursday, May 31, 2007

Momma Tagged Me. Eight Things.

1. I have a Secret Garden. Tom built it just for me.

2. Every morning I drink 2 cups of coffee with 2 packets of Splenda and my secret vice - a nice dollup of ultra-pasteurized premium cream.

3. This spring I bought a pair of olive green mules. The kind you wear on your feet, not the kind that pull your plow.

4. I liked high school and loved college but I hated my elementary school. After I graduated I did not look at the building for about 10 - 12 years. Everytime we drove by I averted my face and (unless I was the driver) closed my eyes. I think that's how my parents finally figured out that I had hated the school that much!

5. I have a green thumb. Most stuff I plant grows too well so my gardens keep expanding and every year I have to put a giant houseplant out at the street with a "free" sign on it. The biggest houseplant I ever put out was an 8 foot tall fiddle-leaf fig tree. This year I was going to put my banana tree out but instead I think I will plant it a garden and treat it as a really big annual.

6. I like rainy days.

7. I am slowly becoming uninformed because I can't stand to watch news or read anything about Iraq, Geo. W. (will not type his name), the middle east in general, or the latest celebrity meltdown. I.Don't.Care. I think the media are all pussies and patsies and no longer engage their critical thinking skills. Even my newspaper is losing its edge.

8. Today, I am going to order a bunch of books from Amazon (again.)

I think most people have been tagged, however I will look north and tag Meemo, Coco, Seana and Lights. All people who need to get out in blogland more!

13 comments:

Bravie said...

How do you like the mules? We have thought about getting some for Michelle's Mom but we aren't sure if they are comfie or not and if they stay on your feet.
I liked elementary school and HATED high school.

Swami said...

I like the mules. They are my first pair and I haven't accidently walked out of or kicked them off yet. They are very comfy.

But on the downside they did make me fall in front of Humpty Dumpty.

kim (weltek) said...

Oooh, I also love rainy days.

I loved elementary school. I hated high school because I was so ready to be done with school and thought high schoolers were immature. Of course, in my own way I was immature and missed out on a lot of fun things.

Re: the news thing. Most newspapers are favoring the Community Journalism movement. It's basic reason is to maintain readership in the changing technological times...by focusing on crappy local news. the big idea is that is helps strengthen communities and is a source for news not found on the net. I call it pandering to the uninformed and it's part of what turned me away from my intended career field (again, only part of the reason).

Aislinn Sirk said...

*very jealous of green thumb*

lights said...

*makes an appearance in blogland*

Like Carey, I liked elementary school but not highschool.

I don't mind a rainy day but I'm really starting to hate thunderstorms. Not that they bother me but because of how freaky Holly gets. Another thunderstorm tonight. The power had better not go off again and make me miss Pirate Master!

Schnookie said...

My mom just told me that my brother has a secret garden. Now you mention having one. This fascinates me. I suppose you can't show a pic otherwise it wouldn't be secret anymore. :-)

You sure like your coffee sweet.

I don't know what mules look like. I'll have to google them.

I hated high school. I don't think I minded elementary school.

I most definitely don't have a green thumb. My mom does.

RAIN! WE NEED RAIN! Sorry, the drought is getting to me LOL. I like rainy days if I'm indoors. I like being outdoors if it's a fine misty rain.

Ditto to your #7.

I subscribed to booksfree.com (recommended by Breezy). It's great to get books dirt cheap but it's kind of icky reading books that have been touched by so many different strangers.

momma said...

I would so love to visit your Secret Garden. I think that's just so cool.

Swami said...

Nookie have your hubbie build you one! I laid out the bones of my design and then Tom did the 'manly' stuff of digging in fence posts, laying down the faux travertine tiles in the little sitting area, moved a few rocks and put in the borders of the two little flower beds. I did the plantings because I'm the one with the green thumb. (Old farm boy Tom can grow corn - but not much else.)

Bushes and foliage covered fence keep prying eyes out. It has a little sunny spot and a little shady spot. The only way a neighbour could see in would be to walk in the gate!

Swami said...

Okay, it's a very small Secret Garden, but that way it can be discretely hidden.

Swami said...

I'm back again, me. Too lazy to start a new entry I guess.

I hated elementary school because the principal hated me. Really. She devoted a great amount of time & energy to trying to catch me doing something punishable. (Which, by the end was pretty easy because you get what you want I guess.)

I loved high school because no teachers there hated me. I liked moving around from room to room and teacher to teacher. I had some excellent teachers (and a few bad ones.) I loved all the subjects & got great grades. I ran the Writer's Club. I wrote our school column for 2 newspapers (Meemo might have read it if he hadn't still been a twinkle in his daddy's eye.) I organised and was in charge of Roman Day when the Latin students took over the school, got wear togas to school, and had "chariot" races in the middle of the day. I wrote much of the script for our school's annual Variety Show and sang in both the choir and a smaller group. It is hugely enjoyable to be the big fish in a small (well, medium I guess - we had ~900 students) pond.

Oh yeah - the year I started HS was the first year that students were assigned numbers. Due to alphabetization my official student ID number was 007!

Swami said...

Nookie - two cups of coffee, one packet in each. But yes, I do like it sweet.

Schnookie said...

crap, I had a long post typed up and blogger ate it. I'll come back later. *sigh*

Schnookie said...

How cool that you were 007 *giggle*

I've asked my mom to send me pics of the gardens at my brother's place. He & his wife have done some incredible landscaping. He's so good that he was asked to design a garden for the corporation he's working with.

Togas at school? How fun! The chariot races must have been a blast. No wonder you have great memories of high school.