
Soon I have to send my good sister (the one in Hawaii) a birthday present. Most years I have given her clothing but this year she has lost some weight and I don't have a good feel for what size she is anymore.
She loves to read and we have many similar tastes in books. She buys tons of paperbacks but never hardcover. I buy many hardcovers, so I read the books of some shared favorite authors well before she does. So I am thinking of sending her some of my already read hardcovers. Is this too tacky? (I would tell her they were previously read.) I can't decide if this is smart or stupid idea. I think it would be stupid to buy her new books when I have perfectly good, read one time books sitting on my shelf. What do you think?

10 comments:
personally? I don't mind receiving gifts that have been used. If the gift is something that I would enjoy, it isn't about whether someone went out and bought it specifically for me. But i am not always known for my tact or class. *giggle*
If it's a book that you think she'd truly enjoy (or a stack of them), send them! But...since she's your sister, I might send a gift certificate for a clothing store in a smaller amount than normal. Or order some flowers or something simple.
More info: I send her birthday gifts. She does not ever send me birthday gifts. Other sister doesn't exchange birthday gifts with her either. Just me.
Momma, she lives in Hawaii. She has flowers up the wazoo.
It's hard to make someone feel special when they live so far away.
I don't think it's tacky at all. Books read only once are practically new.
My only question would be in sending her hardcover when she normally reads paperbacks. Some people hate hardcover and wouldn't want them. I, for one, prefer paperbacks because they are easier to hold when reading in bed and such.
But maybe she just buys the paperbacks because they are cheaper and would have no problem with receiving hardcovers.
*shrug*
I would send the books, it's the thought that counts. right?
I have no problem with used books. I figure I just get more books that way.
Excellent question. Given your info about her not gifting you, I'd send the books and some homemade cookies.
Okay, I'll change my answer. Send her the books AFTER her birthday and nothing else. No Birthday card or anything.
I'd be thrilled to get more books, new or used. You can never have enough.
Of course I'm a nerd, so take this as you will.
I think it's a great idea, especially if they're books you liked and think she'd like too. We're all supposed to be so conscious about recycling, I don't see what's wrong with this kind of recycling.
Post a Comment