Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday Randoms

A. My kitchen is haunted this morning. I'm not kidding! At random times I hear a little gong noise - 5 rings then it stops. I can't figure out where it is coming from and this is driving me batty! I have no appliances with a gong sound! My dryer buzzes and my tea kettle dings. No gongs.

B. I still want a pet chicken. I have found a chicken rescue organization that has little photos and bios of chickens that need homes. (They're listed under 'see our tails' lol.) Aren't the hens sweet? I like chickens. Tom thinks the whole concept of pet chickens is nuts. To quote the organization - chickens "are the most unjustly treated land animals on the planet. Each year in the US, over 10 billion chickens suffer from intense confinement, cruel handling and painful terrifying deaths. Although they represent over 95% of the animals raised for agricultural and other purposes, they are excluded from protection of anticruelty laws, humane slaughter laws and laws that regulate experimentation."

C. Macy's has an 11-cup Cuisinart on sale for such a sweet price today. I may finally bite and become a Cuisinart owner. Then I can cook like the Big Kids on TV.

D. Who got kicked off DWTS last night? For some reason my DVR stopped at 58 minutes, so I was left with Monica Seles and the Broadway Chick standing there while the beat, beat music played - then nothing. Who got the boot?

E. Today I am putting the "alpha" into the alpha-numeric numbering system. Does this make me an Alpha Female?

F. My house reeks. Yesterday I had to cook up 5 lbs of bacon for DH to take into work for some kind of United Way breakfast fund-raiser thing this morning. Do you know how much grease 5 lbs of bacon generates? I think the intense smell of bacon has now permeated my entire house. It started out as a nice, appetizing smell - but has morphed into a stomach-churning annoyance.

G. I like to end on a G.

Edited to add: The kitchen gong sound stopped just after noon.
I still have no idea what it was, but I am speculating that somewhere in the kitchen some appliance was sending out a distress call just before it died.
So RIP whatever you were...

10 comments:

mtw said...

Pet chickens? No thanks. I would want to experiment on mine.

Cuisinart food processor? I have one and I love it. Probably the most used kitchen appliance I've ever owned.

I have not watched DTWS yet this season. It may be too late for me. Last night, there were actually 5 things I wanted to watch that were on at the same time: DWTS, Big Brother, Biggest Loser, American Idol, and the Sharks hockey game. I could only record four, so DWTS missed out.

mtw said...

Five pounds of bacon? Talk about too much of a good thing.

Did it occur to you that maybe you were using a musical numbering system since you stopped at G? :)

Swami said...

That's a lot of shows to record, MTW. I hate when everything is on at once because I hate watching stuff on the smaller office TV, which is where our other DVR is. I record the 2 favorites on the big TV DVR, and the lesser shows - or ones that only I watch - on the office TV. Next week, I start watching Hell's Kitchen in the office.

That's me. Musical to the bone!

Anonymous said...

A. I have been trying to determine the source of your dinging, and have not been able to. Is there a cell phone that has had its setting changed? My boss' phone dings and drives me crazy.

B. Interesting.

C. I don't know where I would put one of those. I'm in the middle of deciding what to do with my canisters and my coffee maker, since I don't use either on a regular basis. They are wasting space.

D. I stopped watching DWTS the year of Lisa Rinna I think. It was conflicting with too many other things and like MTW said, something had to give.

E. I don't know, I just know it makes you a lister. An organized lister.

F. That is a lot of bacon. I haven't fried bacon since Oscar Meyer came out with their boxed bacon, which I simply nuke.

F. What about J? I thought you liked J.

MM said...

You always make me smile, Swami. :) I'll be back later with a real comment.

*smooch*

Zombs said...

Random fact: My father was one of the country's foremost poultry experts specializing in chickens. frank Perdue was his nemesis.

He has judged them to in fairs. He was either Good Morning America or the Today show's "turkey expert" that they used to trot(pun!) out around the holidays each year(this is back in the 70's and early 80's).

He got his start when he was a young boy by taking care of the Orthodox Jews' farm animals on the Sabbath and they were all so impressed with him that they sponsered a scholarship for him to go on to college where he got a degree in Agriculture.

More than you wanted to know? I know a fair bit about chickens as a result!

MM said...

a. *shiver* I don't like haunted stuff!

b. That's just cute. What else can I say?

c. Did you do it?

d. Not sure, don't watch it.

e. ummmm...

f. the smell of bacon cooking makes me sick, but it's really a mental thing, not physical. Not sure if anything but time will help you there.

g. *smooch*

Swami said...

So Zombs, am I nuts to want a pet chicken or three? And yay! for your dad! I like the looks of Japanese Silky chickens - their feathers really do make them look like they are draped in silken threads!

MM - I did it, boy did I do it! See above post.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

A neighbor boy (age 16) received an anonymous chicken from a girl the other week.. said "Stanley" needed a new home. The family owns an English bulldog. Stanley now has a home atop the fence in the trees trying to stay away from the dog... and he makes himself known just before 5 am each day.. Not fun.

Puffy said...

Zombie's dad was a "Shabbos Goy."