Friday, October 09, 2009

Like Gorillas in the Mist

My neighbours houses are slowly emerging from behind the screening leaves of the forest. Usually I can see only one other house from mine. Now I can see 3 more. There is one more house to appear and this view will last until spring. I am not happy about this, preferring my illusion that I live alone in the North Woods.

About 18 years ago I planted a strategic row of hemlock between my house and property of a neighbour who I really don't like. Maybe hate. Yeah - probably hate. So I never have to look at her house in any season. I can still hear her from the screen porch, however. She and all her kids think that when you are outside it is required that all conversations be yelled.

Coq au Vin for supper tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO NEIGHBOR LADY!!!!

The neighbors behind us planted some kind of evergreens years ago before we moved in. I don't really know why - I think at one point there was an issue about property lines/fences. Those trees haven't really done well. I think both of us of are okay with that. I know I am. If I wanted to be secluded, I wouldn't have moved into a neighborhood development.

My neighbor beside me plants some evergreen type trees not along our fence line, but to block out the cul-de-sac behind us. Hers have really shot up this year.

kim (weltek) said...

Hemlock was appropriate, I'd say.

I like our neighbors, but need to build up the trees between our houses. I like, as you do, to pretend I'm alone.

Anonymous said...

I like to get out of the hot tub in the buff and flash everyone.

Puffy said...

Gorillas in the mist is a good metaphor. How's your snow? I hope our hillside doesn't slide down.