...when it is -20 degrees below zero F. It's all about the layers.
You start with the basic gray boxer briefs and t-shirt.
Add two layers of socks - the first one a comfy wool blend and the second one some serious, heavy-duty knitted wool.
Then comes the jeans. The jeans must be heavy-duty flannel-lined jeans because the boys get cold in regular jeans.
Tuck in a heavy weight chamois shirt from Cabela's. I like the misty blue one with a herd of deer runnning across the chest. Or the one called "saddle blanket". Mmmm.
Lace on boots with 800 gms of genuine thinsulate.
Put a fleece-lined, neoprine "polar" balaclava hood over his head. Over that put on insulated ear covers (thinsulate value unknown) and add a stylin' wool cap so he looks less like a terrorist/cat burglar.
Put on a fleece-lined jacket from Land's End (thinsulate value unkown, but really high.) This jacket is red to make it easy to locate his body in the frozen wasteland known as 'My Street'.
Pull on nylon wrist guards that seal the chamois shirt to the body. Then pull on Merino wool glove liners topped with merino wool mittens. Add a Grabber brand ultra-heat patch to each mitten. Put on jersey-lined, wind-proof over-mittens. (DH has Renaud's Syndrome so he has to keep his hands really warm.)
Then wave bye-bye to husband at the door and go have a cup of cocoa by the fireplace. Because going for a walk when it's -20'F is just plain nuts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
OMG, that's insane! I completely agree with your last sentence, lol!
Wow, that's some serious prep work to go outside.
Oh, and I didn't even know they made jeans that were lined! Cool!
I will never complain about the rain again. I'd like some of that baklava that you put on his hood, though.
I didn't know about flannel-lined jeans, either, let alone most of the other clothing. You sure must spend a lot of clothes. That makes up for our higher gas prices and home prices out west.
Pffttt! I've been dressing like that to go to work this week. *grin*
-36C most mornings this week. Actually, I wore tights under my dress pants plus socks, a turtleneck and a sweater as well as my coat, scarf, gloves and boots. It's all about the layering.
We've gone snowmobiling when it was -35C and been perfectly comfortable. As long as you're dressed right it's not that bad. IMO, the boots are key. Until I got my Sorels (rated for -100 or some ridiculous temp) I didn't enjoy snowmobiling. Now I'm seldom cold unless I get wet.
I have 2 serious questions.
1. When you're dressed warmly, what do you do if you have a hot flash?
2. When you're dressed warmly, what do you do if you have an itch?
Lights - I've gone x-country skiing when it was -37F, which I think is colder than C. Skiied hard too, because as soon as you stopped moving and exerting you could feel the waiting cold trying to get you.
Puffy, serious answers:
1. This is what layers are for. You are constantly opening, closing and/or peeling and re-donning layers to keep you temperature okay. You don't want to sweat into your nearest layer because being wet when it's tres cold is a Very Bad Thing.
2. Stick the ski pole down your pants and scratch.
I agree. And I said almost as much to my neighbors who went running Saturday morning when it was 20 degrees.
Actually I aksed them if they had ever heard of a treadmill.
Post a Comment