The Longest Night. When I was 11 we had one of those warm Halloweens (unusual for Canada) and also a full moon. My best friend and I were out for more than 3 hours, walked for miles and got bags and bags of candy. However, I was scarred for life when I saw my least favorite substitute teacher in her underwear while we were sneaking around her house trying to decide whether or not to risk soaping the windows.
Window Soaping. I was good friends with the daughter of our high school principal. So one year I thoroughly soaped her windows. I got in such trouble! Even though I said I wasn't soaping the principal's windows - just my friend's house. Never soap the windows of a high school principal, children. It's like a federal offense or something.
My Favorite Costume. When I was 12 I went as Barbarella in a costume made entirely of tin foil. I had many technical issues with the tin foil bra and my father ultimately insisted I wear a turtleneck under the bra - nevertheless I felt so very, very sexy and grown-up. I couldn't figure out why so many guys who drove by tooted their car horns at me, lol. Such innocence. I had on a pair of silver panties (from an ice skating costume) with a fringed miniskirt made of silver foil so the silver panties showed through, a pair of silver knee-high boots, and the silver foil bra. It's a wonder my parents let me out the door!
Favorite College Halloween. A bunch of us decided to move our Halloween party to a nearby graveyard. So there were jugs of apple smash resting on tombstones and some costumed kids making out on the graves. An old lady saw the party from her bedroom window and called the cops. Evidently, partying in someone else's graveyard is illegal and referred to as 'Desecrating Hallowed Ground'. Who knew?
Favorite Memory With Tom. He dressed as a vampire and I as a vampress and we went bar-hopping in costume. Many, many Bloody Mary's were consumed. We stayed totally in character and it was so fun. Tom made a great vampire - wearing a full length black cape lined with red silk over his best dark pin-striped 3-piece suit, shiney wingtip shoes and fangs. So handsome! I was all in red with way too much eye make-up on.
Surprise Halloween Weather Event. In 1991 I was in charge of the Halloween Party at my DD's elementary school. When we went into the school it was a lovely evening. When we came out 2 or 3 hours later we walked into a white world. Twenty-one inches of snow had fallen! We barely, barely made the drive home.
An Absolutely Untoppable Family Halloween Story. When I told my mom the apple smash/graveyard fiasco story she told me her college Halloween story:
Her father was the Coroner for Cook County (?) (whatever the heck county it is that Cleveland, Ohio is located in). Anyway, when her sorority decided to enter a Halloween Haunted House contest my mom, a lovely and well brought-up young lady decided to steal an unclaimed John Doe cadaver from the City Morgue to be part of the display. The body they stole was a young man who had been badly beaten and then shot in the head. And then autopsied.
The sorority's haunted house was a huge hit and seemed likely to win the contest until an off-duty cop went through the display. He knew a real body when he saw one, so he shut the Haunted House down and brought in the law. Much confusion ensued. Her sorority didn't win the contest and my mom had to promise to never steal a body from the morgue again, lol.
Tell me a story from your Halloweens past!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is California, remember. Once, when my children were little, it rained on Halloween. So of course, Californians don't go out in the rain so trick or treating was cancelled.
My neighborhood decided to do trick or treating on Nov. 1. So my kids each invited a friend from another neighborhood to come with them, so they could dress up and trick or treat and not miss it that year.
Great stories Swami, especially the one of your mom LOL.
I have no good halloween stories.
A few years ago, I had a bag of salt water taffy that I had bought in Savannah. Turns out I don't really like salt water taffy so I decided to give it out for halloween (along with other good stuff). I had one kid look at me and ask what the heck I was giving him. He had a look of disgust on his face LOL. Can't say I blamed him.
Puffy, you SoCal peeps are pretty much weather wimps, aren't you?
Nookie, salt water taffy is one of those things that's when it's good, it's very very good and when it's bad it's awful.
My mom loved salt water taffy. She had a place in Ohio and a place in New Jersey from which she would buy it.
We made it once at home. A huge mess, but way fun - all that stretching and throwing and stretching again.
Your mom cracks me up! I'd have NEVER had the guts to do something like that.
We had a party in a graveyard once, too. Must be a midwest thing. Yep, we got busted by the cops. Me and four others ran. I estimate it was about five miles of running/walking through fields and woods with only the moonlight to guide us. Turns out they found my car (which was my dad's) because MY BEST FRIEND WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE DESIGNATED DRIVER had brought my car up to the graveyard to have sex in. So, my dad got called and drove around looking for me. I was in so much trouble. I had to go talk to the cops the next day, but nothing came of it. I lied and said I wasn't drinking, just talking to a guy over in a corner. They believed me because there weren't any bottles found in the area where we were and where we ran. Good thing I've always been good at placing my trash in the proper place. :-)
Swami, you've got the best stories! I can't think of any having to do with Halloween! It is my parents' anniversary, so when I was a kid, I seem to remember getting dropped off at the school carnival while Mom & Dad went to dinner or something!
Post a Comment