Monday, October 29, 2007

Dead

*sigh*

We had our killing frost on Saturday night. No more pretty annuals. And my banana tree bit the dust as I knew it would. I killed it.

Last year I brought my baby banana tree indoors and it spent the winter in my living room, where I most definately did not have room for a banana tree that grew to 6 ft across. So this spring I planted it into the ground so I wouldn't be tempted to bring it back in again this winter. It grew even more when planted in the ground and looked quite lovely. Now it just looks dead. But it had to die because already I barely have room for all my house plants and house trees.

So RIP little banana tree. Minnesota was not the right place for you...

6 comments:

Bravie said...

*gasp* I'm sesnitive to the death of bananas. *sad sigh*

momma said...

LMAO. Dead Banana Tree seems to have spawned in Cali over the weekend.

Maybe it will come back to life in the Spring.

Puffy said...

Do the plants and trees that seem dead really come back with new foliage in the spring? We had our big California "frost" this past winter (stop smirking). Lots of plants looked like they froze, but we were told not to trim away the dead stuff (it was protective) and to wait. Many things came back to life in the spring.

RIP Banana Tree.

Debcapsfan said...

Bye Banana tree. We had our first frost this AM. Brrr....

MM said...

I'm sorry! I've been quite upset on more than one occasion when I've lost a plant or tree. I get attached easily.

RIP banana tree!

Swami said...

Wait! Hold the presses! On close physical inspection the topmost leave and the curled leaf in waiting are still alive.

So the next frost will kill it.

Puffy, things which are hardy to Zone 4 will come back. Sadly, banana trees are not among that hardy bunch.