Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Damn Duck Hunters

Every day at one minute after dawn (or one minute before - I forget which) they are allowed to start shooting. So every morning I am awakened at dawn. Boom! Boom-boom! Pop! The ducks passing through my backyard are never safe.

This is the downside of living by a navigable river - any fool with a boat can motor up into your neighborhood and shoot stuff with guns. They are not supposed to shoot towards the houses and there has never been any incident that I know of. But I just don't like it!

Plus, I figure "my" ducks are my guests and I don't want them shot.

8 comments:

momma said...

Can you post a sign that says No Duck Hunting?

Schnookie said...

Poor duckies.

I believe yesterday was the official start to hunting season here. So, I went out and bought our dog a bright orange safety vest for when DH takes him for a walk in the woods. DH needs to get himself a safety vest also. I don't trust people around here. I've already begun hearing gun shots and wouldn't put it past them to walk onto my property and start shooting at any deer they see.

Swami said...

I can post it but they can ignore it. The St Croix is an interstate waterway and I have no say about what people in boats can do while on the water. The DNR has sway over the waterway.

I suppose if a shot duck dropped in my yard I could go out and fight their retriever for it, but I don't see that happening.

kim (weltek) said...

I have duck hunting friends. Should I call them at the crack of dawn and say "BANG BANG!" just to get them back for you? I would.

There are so many irresponsible hunters and general hunting jerks out there. I'm glad my hubby and his friends/relatives are all responsible about it and help reinforce the standard with eachother.

Swami said...

Lol Kim- that would be great! I even have a couple of phone numbers in mind. Then again, when you called the duck hunters would probably be out duck hunting and you would only wake up other, innocent family members. Still... *considers siccing Phone Kim on the Johnsons*

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

*likes Kim's idea*

Poor little ducks! No waterways around here, any shots we hear would be ones we SHOULDN't be hearing. Thankfully we are in a pretty decent neighborhood.

Bravie said...

I live in the city so I hear gunshots all the time. It's usually not ducks that are getting shot though.
I think I remember liking duck. Or was it pheasant? Or moose? I can't remember.

Anonymous said...

I have to schedule the first day of hunting season as a holiday for my students. Can you believe that?

It's easier than dealing with all of the phone calls.