My vacuum cleaner, aka Big Red, has died. She still sucks, but all the crapiola dirt & dust combo winds up roaming free in the attached big red bag - not going into the properly connected dispo bag. This is not acceptable. That superfine dirt that looks like powdered mica makes me itch and if I get it in my eyes the whites of my eyes swell, which is super scarey.
So I need a new vac. Any recommendations? I like a floor vac, but quick & easy on-board tools are very useful. Also, are Dysons really worth the big bucks? (DH will be a hard sell.) If you use a vacuum without a dispo bag how much contact do you have with the superfine dirt when you empty it? Because I don't want to have to shower after I vacuum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Heh, go to OT today. There was a thread by Sharnina on bagless vs. not. And there is Dyson talk.
I hate going to OT! Crap. But thanks for the info. Perhaps I will gird my loins and go look.
Suck it up, Swami!
Kim <---punny since 2007.
ANYONE HERE? There seems to be a vacuum in here.
Puffy<---punny since right after Kim
Swami<---*smacks Kim & Puffy*
I read that thread on OT. OT was like deja vu all over again.
We bought a cheap bagless vacuum for the cottage and I hate it.
Did I ever tell you about the time I went to Electrolux and asked for a price for a new vacuum? The salesman gave me a quote and told me to go home and check with the hubby. I went to Sears, bought a new vacuum and then went back to Electrolux and told the salesman that I bought it all on my own, without checking with "the hubby". *grin*
OMG lights, I hate that. *I* am the one doing the buying. I'm old enough and everything. That said, I think they do that because they get a lot of people telling them that they can't buy right now, they have to go talk to hubby/wife first.
I have a Dirt Devil upright and I love it. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, though.
Not sure, Swami. I've started looking at all my vacuums as disposable. I use them until they die (or quit sucking properly) and buy another. *sigh*
Get one of them ride on vacuums!!!!
(Consumers just rated vacuums and Dysons did not do so well. The Sears Kenmore canister model did best from going to hardwood to area carpet.)
Sorry. I am Jim B's wife. We have an Apple Comp. in the kitchen that we use for recipes and cooking shows and I guess Mr. Monstah (AKA Jim B) was signed on as himself. He has a high tech blog out there somewhere.
My vacuum experiences in the last five years:
1. Dirt Devil (bag) cheapie (around $90)...awful. It worked properly for a few months, but the attachments always fell off. After about a year, it was horribly clogged. I cleaned it out, but it now gets clogged constantly (it's at my MILs house up north).
2. Hoover Windtunnel high end (around $250). I like it. It's been three years and has done some heavy duty work. It never clogs. It's bagless, but I only have to dump it about 1xmonth and it's just one dump of the canister. There is a $30 filter that we have to replace 1xyear.
I would like a Dyson Animal vac. I don't doubt they are fantastic, but mine is doing fine and I have a really hard time spending more than $200 on a vacuum. The Hoover was probably only considered because we got it with all our new home appliances. What was $250 when we were spending thousands?
Lights & Seana, We don't buy stuff from people who won't deal with me. Sorry, but I am the household purchasing agent. Tom would only get involved is it's something he considers either fun or essentially manly--like a house addition or a riding mower or something.
Jim B. Nice to meet you. If I lived in a mini-mall I might consider a ride-on, but since I live in a multi-level house I don't think it's practical. Besides I have a John Deere if I need to sit on a large vibrating piece of equipment.
MM, I keep telling Tom that vacuums are disposable and he has always wanted to spend $400 to $600 on some "professional" model that works terrifically for a couple of years then becomes just ordinary. I think I will replace my vac with 2 cheaper ones - one upright and one cannister.
I think 2 cheaper ones is the way to go. One upstairs and one down.
I have a Hoover and a Kirby. The Kirby was purchased only because my son was trying his hand at sales. I hate kirby's.
I'd take 2 Hoovers over a kirby any day!
At least with vacuum cleaners, when they finally break down you get to use the oldest, tiredest joke in the biz -
"This vacuum cleaner really sucks!"
Ben O.
ben o.? jim b.?
Suddenly I want a cooler call name. One with an initial.
Post a Comment