Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hats off to Parents

I forgot how much time a six year old takes, lol. She's a very sweet and well-behaved little girl I have this week - but I have to keep doing stuff. The good news is that I still know how to draw and color like a professional mom. The downside is that kid lives and goes to morning KG about an hour away - so I have to spend a huge chunk of each day driving.

One thing. Books for this age of kid (at least the ones her mom approves of) don't seem to have villians or any real conflicts. Everything is happy, cooperative squirrels and bear cubs building snowmen together - stuff like that. I think kids need morality tales, and stories with a bit more "tooth". How else to learn about life?

7 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Carey should write a children's story about the Pootmaster.

mm said...

LOL about the books. You are so right. You could always get some older disney books. They might have more of what you're looking for.

~Nutz said...

That's a long drive! You don't have to bring to school in the morning and drive her home at night, do you?

Swami said...

No, I pick her up from KG, but then since I don't really enjoy hanging out in someone else's house all afternoon I bring her back to my place. Then I bring her back to her mom's (I'm leaving in few minutes.) Being in my own place is worth all the extra driving.

Puffy said...

How about a little Hansel and Gretel shoving the witch into the oven? Next..read her Bambi where the mom gets killed.

Coco said...

I was just skimming "The Uses of Enchantment", which is a book about the way fairy tales (the old, gory versions) affect a child's development. According to the author, they are a very positive influence on kids in terms of seeing villains and identifying with both sides, etc.

(I'm not wearing pyjamas to type this post).

Swami said...

Thank you, Coco.

(So then. You're naked?)