Saturday, February 24, 2007

Winter Tradition

Like most snowbelt communities, we have a tradition which dictates that when a snow storm is coming, everyone runs to the grocery store to buy milk and bread. You know, just in case.

This weekend we are supposed to have our first big snowstorm in about 8 years. So friday at noon I went to the grocery store. While there I saw a grown woman shopping in her pajamas! I couldn't believe it! It was noon on a friday, she was about 50 years old, a little bit chubby.

In disbelief I circled her. She was wearing wrinkled baggy, shapeless pants. Baby blue with a tiny little print of clouds and sheep. The top was a matching pullover print. With dark boots and a navy blue nylon parka. What kind of moron adult woman goes to the grocery store in obviously slept-in pajamas and boots!?!

I'm still laughing over this one!

And still waiting for the snow too. We have barely an inch so far.

14 comments:

Puffy said...

LOL All the teenage girls are doing it.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, yes, I know this tradition. I had to pick up tamale ingredients on Friday, not thinking about the mass shoppers that would block my way. I could barely get to the frickin' chicken without clawing my way through the crowd. Ugh.

I hear the video stores were crazy, too. People renting five movies at a time. Thank cod for Netflix.

momma said...

What Puff said. All the kids are doing it.

And I'll admit to having worn my pajama pants to the store once. of course, it was at about 9pm and one of the Rottens was sick and I needed medicine.

Glowie said...

That was me?

Bravie said...

Glowie took my answer.

Michelle won't let me leave the house in my jammies. She's mean like that.

Jen said...

If it was socially acceptable, I would wear my pajama pants all the time.
Damn you, society!

mm said...

I wish I were the type to go to the store in pajamas. It's way better than being the type who can't go in tennis shoes (has to be the "high" shoes to give me more inches) or without makeup.

Swami said...

See, teenagers and the young & trendy can wear pajamas and call it fashion. But a rather 'dumpy' 50 y.o. woman in galoshes? Not so much.

Surveysez said...

You forgot the toilet paper. Bread and milk and toilet paper are the staples that can see you through anything.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Hey Swami... I will be going to Minnesota for a wedding in March.. the 17th. I will only be there for a little more than 24 hours though.. Is it still freezing in Minneapolis in March?

Swami said...

Mom2, March is an unpredictable kind of month. Most likely it will be below freezing (32'F) at night, but not below Zero. Daytime temps will most likely be in the 30s, but could be 40 degrees colder or warmer. Best to check for a weather forcast written early in the week you will be here. I'll post one for you, if you like.

We always have one good snowstorm in March. Always.

On March 17 I will be in Wisconsin for the day at my MIL's 87th birthday party.

Sorry, I don't know where you live. Will you be flying in?

kim (weltek) said...

On March 17th I'll be drinking all day, rain, snow, or shine. *dances a jig*

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

It's my dad getting married, Irishman that he is. I'll be flying in from Phx on the Friday, and then flying back out Saturday evening.. so I'm really not there for long! But yes.. I'll be bringing a coat!!

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

It's my dad getting married, Irishman that he is. I'll be flying in from Phx on the Friday, and then flying back out Saturday evening.. so I'm really not there for long! But yes.. I'll be bringing a coat!!