I have seen quite a few dead deer on the highway lately, so I thought I would post this just to be helpful. Because I am all about the helpful. :)
I know why about half of the roadkill deer are there. It's because people are looking the wrong way. See, white tail does almost always travel in small groups - usually 2 or 3 but sometimes in herds of 5 or 6. So when a deer runs across the road in front of some car the driver always brakes hard and usually misses it. At which point everyone in the car - including the driver - is going "Oh look at the pretty deer!" and scanning the woodline where the pretty deer just disappeared. Which is when they hit the second deer. Because even though they're together deer almost always cross open space one at a time.
This has been a Public Service Announcement.
But feel free to hit the deer in front of my house because I DO NOT want them to eat my azalea buds!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
A couple of weeks ago I was stopped behind some cars as three deer crossed the road. I was glad I wasn't the first in line because I might have missed seeing them in time.
I don't think we've had a deer around my house for a long time. I didn't realize they would eat my azalea buds. I've tried azalea's numerous times and only one has taken. I'd be upset if all the buds were gone.
I hate deer. They make me very nervous. One time one started to come out of the woods, and I totally freaked out.
So why aren't MY azaleas doing well?
Years ago, my friend's husband hit a horse. The car was totaled and the people inside were.a.mess.
LMAO.
The does travel in herds of 6-12 around here. Of course, this may have something to do with the game preserve down the road and umpty-bazillion acres of woods and forests around.
*pout*
I don't have any deer. And I love deer. Thank you for the PSA, Swami.
Puffy, you need to fertilize your azalea weekly for about 6 weeks beginning right after they drop all their blooms. Around here that means July thru mid-August. They develop the next years flower buds right away - even though the buds stay dormant until the next spring. Early spring fertilizing is useless. (Well, that's true in MN - your bushes probably bloom earlier than May.
Oh yeah! I know someone who hit an escaped horse too. It was a dark bay horse, galloping down his side of the road (in the dark) straight at him. He vaguely remembers a car going the other way flashing its lights at him, but he couldn't see the horse until he was almost on top of it.
He was trashed and his passenger killed. Horses and moose (and elk, I suppose) are so tall that when you hit them they slide over the hood, break through the windshield and wind up in the front seat with you.
Mostly, deer wreck the front end or even total your car but they don't go over the hood so you are safe in airbag heaven.
Thanks for the azalea advice. Some of ours are already blooming. I'll tell Mr. Puffy, the resident gardener.
Post a Comment