Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Kinda Whiney Randoms. Long.

First.
Yesterday I picked out the rooms in which my son will spend many hours of his life over the next few years. I hate doing carp like that. But at age 21 he is graduating out of the school system and because of his temperament and autism he is not really suited for any sheltered jobs. See, he is 6’ 2”, pretty aggressive and can move like a Ninja. People fear him. I fear him sometimes. So he is going into handicap purdah.

It’s a pretty nice place for the place it is. Five large rooms, slightly bigger than the average classroom, each with several large windows. Each room has about 7 -8 “clients” working in it at any given time. There is one staff for each two clients. The clients do in-house jobs like put together newsletter packets, make soap (pouring into molds) and then packaging it, crush cans, etc. They also work on job-related communication and behavior skills. The rooms are a bit shabby, but organized and clean. The staff seems terrific! I liked all the staff very much; I picked the place because of the staff. Hopefully they will do well by my son.

Second.
My youngest DD appears to be bonding with her longtime BF again. I think I’ve written about him before. He’s a nice enough guy but he is going nowhere fast. At age 21 he does not have a driver’s license (this is incomprehensible to me) or a job. He hangs out at his mom’s house doing moderately helpful things and playing video games by the hour. He appears to be setting himself up to be a dependent all his life.

DD is very insecure and doesn’t make friends easily so I think she is settling on this guy who pursues her very well. His main skill, lol. DD hasn’t made any friends at the commuter campus where she attends college. It is my opinion that she isn’t trying to make friends in enough ways. She and I have discussed this a few times. My advice has been that you have to meet people to know people. This means you have to get involved in college life and/or life in general. There are so many opportunities when you’re young! I told her the kinds of things I did. I joined the Sierra Club and a ski club and went on many wonderful outings. I joined coed softball and volleyball teams. I even joined a church (well, a Unitarian church which was mostly humanistic as opposed to religious and therefore acceptable to me.) I went to just about any gathering I was invited to. I went on blind dates. If you do all that you may make a few good friends. If you make no effort to find friends you won’t find any. I think it’s a no-brainer. You have to ‘push’ sometimes. DD understands the concept but she just. won’t. do. it. The old BF is easier. I feel sad for her.

Third.
My oldest DD. Well, maybe I won’t talk about her today. I’ve rambled & moaned long enough today. My fingers are tired of typing and I need more coffee. But we have issues, oh yes we do.

Fourth.
On the good news front, Tom continues to be practically perfect in every way!

5 comments:

momma said...

*hugs*

It cannot be easy to deal with the changes in your son's life. Thankfully (and unfortunately), more and more children are diagnosed with autism, more and more research is being done and understood, and there are wonderful places for those who can function at a close to "normal" (wtfever that is) level. It sounds like a pretty decent place, especially when there is a staff you like.

I feel for your younger DD. It's not easy to get out there and meet new people. It's much more comfortable and easier to stay with the known (no matter how crappy it is) than venture out into the unknown. She's only cheating herself though. Maybe one day soon she'll realize that and get involved with life.

*more hugs*

Puffy said...

Momma posted exactly what I wanted to say.

Bravie said...

*hugs* Our niece is still too young for us to know what will happen when she is older. Luckily she is female and not terribly aggressive. Although she has her moments. I feel for you, Swami. *hugs*

mm said...

*dittos momma*

*sigh* I'm so sorry about the changes with DS, and the non-changes with DD. But yay(!) for Tom. It's good to have someone like that.

*smooch*

arkie said...

ditto what momma said.

*hugs*