Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Need A Ruling Here.

I have a $5.00 bet with Mr. Swami that the price of gas would go up by at least 20 cents within 24 hours of the polls' closing.

Today, on my way home from voting I noticed that gas had just jumped 24 cents at SA ($2.05 yesterday afternoon, $2.29 this afternoon.) At first I thought - yay! - I win. Then I thought, have I lost on a technicality? Because the freakin' polls are still open! (They will close at 8 p.m.)

My current theory is that since I didn't specify before or after, just said "within", that I have won the bet. Mr. Swami will probably try to claim that 'after' was implied when I said 'within', because that is intuitively correct and besides he hates to lose a bet.

Which is it?
I think I won.

14 comments:

momma said...

I'd say, based on your technicality, that you technically have already won the bet. However, in order to remain fair and give Tom a chance, wait until 24 hours of the polls closing and see just how high gas prices have gone. That $5.00 might get you two gallons of gas.

mm said...

You won.

MM <--believes in girls sticking together

Bravie said...

You said WITHIN 24 hours of the polls closing. You did not say before and you did not say after. Within means either way.
You win.

Lasann said...

I had to get gas this morning. $2.26. It was $2.06 during the campaign. I knew it would, I knew it would.

And withing 24hrs makes you the winner. By tonight it may be $3.15 again.

Zombs said...

You win!

Especially since your gas was only $2.05!

Puffy said...

I better fill up today before it goes any higher. I vote for you winning the bet.

Swami said...

So glad my Bloggy friends all agree!

Tom conceeded without too much of a problem. In fact, he said he'd take me out to dinner to repay the debt. I said "deal" because that sounds better than just $5.00. Then he said "Anne invited us to dinner on Friday." So he thinks he's off the hook now. Pfft!

I'm off to my son's IEP meeting at 1 p.m. I really like his teacher and his new school. Too bad he will 'age out' of the system after this year.

Aislinn Sirk said...

He can't get out that easy. He owes you a super nice mega dinner.

Bravie said...

*takes off pants*

yvonne said...

*high fives* Swami on her impressive win!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you win!

Way to go!

kim (weltek) said...

*rolls eyes at the gas/election conspiracy theorists*

I was just picking on Chris last night because our prices didn't go down pre-election, nor up after. They've been holding pretty steady for over the last two weeks. Which lately, seems like an eternity for them to be stable!

Swami said...

*rolls Kim's eyes back to her*

kim (weltek) said...

I think you left a finger print on one. Have any Windex? *smooch*