Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Neighbour Sam

I have such a lovely husband.

One of Mr. Swami's friends recently bought a loft condominium in an area of the city that is just now developing a bunch of loft space for homes. It's quite lovely, with a mix of retail and entertainment venues in the lower floors. One of these venues turned out to be a nightclub so the friend had a few noise issues and the odd drunken street argument below her windows, but nothing too extreme.

What drove the friend nuts was the police. Turns out, this was a gay nightclub and many nights at about 2 or 3 in the morning a patrol car would repeatedly drive by, turn on their loudspeaker and taunt "here pussy pussy pussy." Which woke this friend up and annoyed the heck out of her. Mostly they 'called for' pussy, sometimes for queers.

So friend was trying to figure out how to stop this loudspeaker wake-up call. She worried about reporting the cops to the cops, and her other friends all agreed that if she did that then the end result would likely be that if she ever had an emergency the cops would take their own sweet time getting there, and probably stop for coffee on the way too. Cops are often petty that way. For the same reason, other loft owners did not want to complain.

So she was trying to figure out what to do. Then she mentioned the problem to Mr. Swami. Turns out, Mr. Swami is pretty good friends with the retired police chief of a neighboring suburb. So Mr. Swami casually mentioned the on-going stupidity to the retired chief - and within a day or two the cat-calling cops cut it out. Completely. Because nothing annoys cops more than knowing they are a laughingstock to cops in other cities. And it was all done with the complaining parties staying unknown to the stupid cops.

The stupid cops are probably still driving by and still thinking their private anti-gay thoughts - but at least they are not broadcasting their prejudice to the entire city. (Did I mention that the city in question is the capital of Minnesota?)

I like my Mr. Swami.

12 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

What a good Mr. Swami!

*pats him on the back*

kim (weltek) said...

That's really disgusting. A nice anonymous editorial or tip to the local paper always works well, too.

Puffy said...

You spelled neighbor with a "U." Are you secretly Canadian?

Mr. Swami has girl friends?

Swami said...

Puffy, I grew up in Canada and lived there until I left for college at age 16, so I spell many words either way depending on what my fingers do in that moment.

Mr. Swami has several female friends buty I don't call them girlfriends. To the best of my knowledge - neither does he.

kim (weltek) said...

Hey Swami...I need your advice about a Christmas gift for my in-laws that live across the border from you (well, sort of).

Are there any nice b&bs or unique resorts near you, that you'd recommend?

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and just so you know, I prefer places where the cops don't yell derogatory statements at the inhabitants. :-)

Swami said...

There is a fabulous Victorian B&B in Stillwater. A bit expensive but extremely nice. I will have to look up their website.

Swami said...

Here is the Rivertown Inn's website. This is the fabulous B&B I mentioned above. Hopefully one of these will be live link...

http://www.rivertowninn.com

www.rivertowninn.com

lights said...

Just another reason why I'm hot for Mr. Swami! *wink*

Bravie said...

*takes off pants*<---because you said that I could. And? it is Wedensday.

Coco said...

I forgot to mention that I feel targeted by the "East Bumfuck" comment.. however, I think that this posting is an appropriate place as any to say so.

Mr. Swami is hott. And smartt.

Swami said...

Sorry Coco. I worried you might feel targeted but when I was growing up in Southern Ontario our TV weathercasters always pointed out how very much colder it was up in Quebec. So I always think of Quebec as the center of all things cold.

Besides, I found your town on a map once. It was just east of East Bumfuck.