Every fall my squirrels chub out in preparation for winter. This year must have been a very good year for squirrels because my guys are seriously overweight. They can barely climb the trees - forget that scampering crap. The black and gray ones are the fattest but even the little reds are unusually rotund.
You can tell I live in the sticks, eh? Most of you guys have to worry about holiday (and everyday) Road Rage, where to park, where to get coffee, weird co-workers, bossy bosses. Me? I just fire up my home office computer, do my little part-time job stuff and watch the cats watch the squirrels.
Lately I have been getting about 2 deliveries per day - USPS, UPS, FedEx, DSL, Speedy. They all know where I am. I rarely order stuff with a delivery charge (usually only from eBay) but when I start wrapping my gifts later today *I* will have to pony up for delivery. Delivery services? A growth industry.
The first stuff I wrap is for my sister in Canada since it can take for.ever. for packages to arrive in Canada. Then I send to my grandson in NY so he has a few weeks to shake boxes, wonder what is in them, and coincidently think about how his grandma loves him. For my sister in Hawaii I got an art history book she really wanted. Actually it's a book that has been out-of-print since 1997 and I found the only copy available on the internet after hitting my search engines every day for about a month. There was no free shipping, so I had it sent directly to her and told her to put a bow on it herself! I only felt slightly Grinchy. My story is that I wanted to be sure she got it in time and she is just so happy to have the book that she doesn't care.
How many gifts do you send to out-of-town places?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
I only send out-of-town gifts to my OT Secret Santa, and my 2 cookie exchange peeps.
I send quite a few gifts out of town. With family in different states and friends in different states. I probably send more out of town than I do in town.
Last year, I spent $180 on shipping charges for out of town gifts.
Wow Carey, you need to pick lighter weight gifts! I probably spent about $80 on shipping last year.
Most of my delivered gifts are for my grandson. I can usually fit 5 or more smaller gifts into one big (but not too big!) box so that saves a little. Usually I UPS or FedEx so they bring the boxes right to the door. And for Canada UPS can usually finesse getting through customs way faster than just mailing.
I'm with Puffy. I don't have to send to anyone but internet people.
*sits with Boo and Puffy*
Besides internet friends I have family and friends in Alabama, Georgia, New Mexico and Mississippi. I usually send everything FedEx or UPS.
Swami, I thought DH was nutz (ha ha) to make brownies to take to his own family's dinner.. but they did go over well. I didn't even have a piece of pumpkin pie! (but that slice of double cream cheese blueberry was REALLY yummy!)
I have about 5 packages to mail this year. Usually it's about 2, so this is a big year for me.
The squirrels around here seem fat, too. Also, Fat Squirrel is an excellent beer made by New Glarus Brewing Co. from WI.
Why don't you just throw my gift in with your sister's package.... that will save you some money from having to ship it separately :-)
The only ones I usually send out of town are to internet friends.
Mom, any pie with cream cheese is a good pie. And chocolate too? Perfect.
I just spent $68 UPSing to NY and Canada. Meemo, I have some extra Shih Tzu crap if you would like some. Shih Tzu calendar? Shih Tzu pen?
Fat Bastard is pretty good wine - I don't drink beer but Tom drinks it every chance he gets. I'll have to recommend this to him.
*checks the mailbox for Glowie's present*
Hey Carey, Tom almost bought you a present yesterday. He was in Saver's thrift shop (because they have a Tuesday special every week) and he found a perfect 49ers jacket, tags still on it. I told him you were a very high end person and a used gift was inappropriate even if it did still have the tags. Aren't you proud of me?
I know someone who likes "Shih Tzu" crap. Just sayin. *grins*
The only time I've ever sent Christmas presents were to internet friends. My family all live within an hour's drive.
I only have to send out three packages this year: one to my brother in New Hampshire and two to my cookie exchangees.
I will only be sending 3 packages this year - the cookie exchanges and my OT secret Santa. The way I'm feeling lately, they maybe the only people to get any present from me this year.
Post a Comment