Friday, September 01, 2006

Where Have All The Turkeys Gone?

This? Is a food complaint thread.

I like a nice turkey sandwich now and then. Turkey, sprouts, thin sliced tomatoes, mayo, soft wheat bread. It's my comfort food. The best part of the Thanksgiving turkey.

I learned long ago that you can't order a turkey sandwich in a restaurant anymore because all you get is that deli-style, thin-sliced turkey loaf crap. I don't want that. It doesn't taste like turkey. It tastes like food additives and it has a weird, semi-gelled texture.

So yesterday I bought and cooked a frozen turkey breast. A great big, full-sized breast frozen by Jennio-O or someone. It looked just like the frozen turkeys you get a T-day. Thawed, it looked like a turkey breast - skin, bones, a neck cut. But when I cooked it? It had that deli taste and weirdly-moist, gelled texture!

They have figured out how to ruin turkey! I am so bummed! Turkey meat is supposed to have mouth. What am I going to do!?!

Swami <--- worries about the important things in life.

16 comments:

Schnookie said...

Turkey meat is supposed to have mouth? WTH does that mean? LOL.

I have to agree though that you can't get good turkey anymore. Or ham. The ham here sucks.

Swami said...

I guess "mouth" means texture. Or substance. It should not have the texture of bologna!

Puffy said...

*sings*
Where have all the turkeys gone?
Long time passin'.
Where have all the turkeys gone?
Long time ago..

Schnookie said...

I'm all about texture when it comes to food. Semi-gelled texture? *SHUDDER PUKE*

mm said...

*shudder puke*? There's a new one! LOL!

I can't help you much, Swami. I'm not a big meat fan, and might go as far as saying I would prefer processed meats.

Surveysez said...

Guess you'll have to get the whole turkey and not just a processed chunk.

Zombs said...

You like beak?

Coco said...

Puffy is killing me.

Swami, I have some turkey in our freezer. Want that?

(it may or may not be from Thanksgiving 2003)

Bravie said...

I've seen turkey Spam. But I have not tried it. That is all.

Swami said...

Survey, this was supposed to be a turkey part, not a processed anything. A genuine turkey breast. When I buy chicken breasts, I get chicken breasts. Should be the same for turkeys!

I knew something was off when I roasted the big breast (5 or 6 lbs, something like that.) About 1/2 a pint or more liquid cooked out of it! And as soon as I sliced the meat I could tell it had been tenderized into submission or something.

I have made most of it into a turkey salad. Not what I wanted but my best choice for such super-moist meat.

*pecks at Zombie*

Zombs said...

tenderized into submission

Reminds me, DH should be home soon!

Puffy said...

Hmmph! Turkey had implants, no doubt.

Swami said...

Reminds me, DH should be home soon!

Feeling a bit amorous, Zombie?

Implants might explain everything, Puffy. Saline implants.

~Nutz said...

Did you know... there are more chickens in the world than humans? I'm not sure this has anything to do with turkeys. :)

Swami said...

Well, I personally eat a few dozen chickens every year! Nice to know there are enough left for the rest of you!

Seana said...

That's really weird. I get turkey breasts, but they just taste like turkey.

How awful for you to have your turkey ruined like that. It sucks to have your food craving ruined like that.

Boo to Jennio-O or whatever!