Dear Miss Manners,
When was the requirement of sending a thank you note for a wedding gift dropped? Did I miss the memo? Just wondering.
Sincerely,
Swamifan
P.S.
Even an email "thank you" would have been acceptible. Unless it was not a personal email but some kind of mass -mailed, generic postcard thingie that my Norton anti-virus says 'don't open' so I don't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
Gentle Reader:
The requirement has not been dropped. Now is the time for a very worried note about whether or not the gift was lost in the mail.
Miss Manners.
Coco, the last four wedding gifts I have sent were not acknowledged. I had to make telephone inquiries, many months later. I just don't get it.
Any future gifts (if I decided to still send them) will be sent with a postal return receipt attached.
Dear Ms. Couth,
Simple behavior mod techniques may work. Just take away the food.
Sincerely,
Mis Manners.
Swami, when you followed up with a phone call, did they admit to receiving the gift?
Sheesh. Some folks have no manners these days.
LOL at Coco. There are times I just have to look away from DH and zone out. If not, I'll go ballistic.
I'm right with ya, Swami! Three of the oh, six weddings we've been to or sent a gift to in the last few years have been sans thank you notes. I know my SIL didn't send any out. I got a thank you gift from them, though, since I worked my butt off for their wedding.
As for Ms. Couth, I'm with ya. DH is ok about food manners, but I fear it's only because of my constant freak-outs over other's eating habits. I think he fears my wrath. Does DH ever hug you while chewing food? That freaks my auditory senses out.
*SCREAMS*
I hate when DH is eating chips or anything crunchy. Sometimes he will come up behind me while I'm doing something, like washing dishes, and be crunching on chips. ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG! Drives me batty!!!!!
I'm ususally pretty understanding when it's a baby shower gift that goes unthanked (?) but wedding gifts? I feel offended when those are ignored. Even baby shower gifts *should* be acknowledged, but I like to just assume that life with a new baby makes people forgetful.
In the past 2-3 years I have had 3 wedding gifts go unacknowledged. Three of them! And they were nice gifts, too.
The most recent one? June 8th or 9th we gave a nephew a check for $150. (I had no idea what to get them.) The check was cashed so I know the gift was received, but it's been almost three months.
One gift (to a niece, an item right off her registry at some fairly swank Beverly Hills store)) I phoned after about a year and she was like "Oh. Yeah. We got it okay." The other one (again, right off her list at Target) has been at least 2 years. I've decided I don't care anymore if she ever got it. Screw 'em.
Were the niece & nephew from the same sibling? I'll never understand people that have no manners. I understand teenagers not acknowledging b'day gifts sent to them but adults not acknowledging wedding/baby gifts? Unforgiveable.
Nookie, both sides of our family ignore proper etiquette. Tom's nephew. My niece.
Altho the third ignored gift was his niece, so I guess his side is twice as bad as mine!
Yikes. I'd have to stop giving gifts. I make my kids write thank you notes to their grandparents for bday and Christmas gifts, even when the grandparents were right there while the child was opening the gift.
Dear Miss Manners,
Is it okay to poot on a bride who doesn't send a thank you note?
Sincerely,
Poot Queen
Dear Queenie,
Ladies do not poot. However, in your case, it will be acceptable IF you are wearing your pink prairie skirt to the wedding.
Together with Oust,
Miss Manners
It's more of a powder blue. Is that still okay?
I have already started Conner on writing thank you notes. He scribbles, I fill in the "meaning."
I just read this weekend about a bride who cancelled the wedding and was going ahead with the party as a fund raiser for a worthy charity. BUT she was auctioning off the wedding gifts, as well as having a women's only party and going on the honeymoon with her mother. After all, it was already all paid for. But I think the gifts should be returned to the givers - however, so many ignor eddi-kit and do what they want nowadays.
Post a Comment