Thursday, September 21, 2006

I Hate Grocery Shopping!

And yet? I have to do it every week. Sucks. I'd rather hang around and post limericks on Coco's blog! I'm still waiting for her to bitch slap me.

What I hate getting most is the damn paper goods. Vegetables and meat are at least fun to pick over, but where's the joy in buying tp and baggies?

Into the cart.
Out of the cart for scanning.
Into the bags for hauling.
Into the cart again.
Out to the car.
Into the car.
Into the house.
Out of the bags.
Into the cupboards.
Repeat.

What a pain! My grocery store is 30 minutes away, so the whole process takes me one hour and 45 minutes. Sucks.

13 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

I love grocery shopping! All of it! I actually enjoy price comparisson, label reading & all that jazz. The only part I hate are coupons. I don't mind clipping them, but I never have them with when I need them & end up not using half of them because there is a better generic deal for things like sour cream, canned veggies, etc.

I'd love to be a professional grocery shopper because then I could go during the day when there are less people there clogging up the checkout lanes.

Swami said...

Dear Kim,

Will you marry me?

love,
Swami

Schnookie said...

I used to enjoy grocery shopping. I loved walking up and down the aisles looking at everything. Then DH started going with me and it was rush rush rush. Then, I began doing it myself again but have lost the joy. I think it's because we eat vegetarian at home and I'm always at a loss at what to get. It really is such a chore now.

Bravie said...

Oddly, as much as I hate shopping at the mall, I love to grocery shop. I will do everybody's grocery shopping if you just send me a list every week.

Puffy said...

I'm with Carey. I don't like to shop at the mall, but I enjoy grocery shopping. I like to compare prices, use coupons, and find great bargains. But now that you phrase the "in, out, in, out, in, out" cycle, it does seem a bit tedious.

kim (weltek) said...

When I kill my husband, I could just move in with you. :-)

Swami said...

Pssst. Nookie. Buy vegetables.

Puffy, I gave up on coupons a few years ago and now I HATE being in line behind someone who whips out a pile of coupons.

~Nutz said...

*sits with Swami*

*waits for someone to volunteer to do my grocery shopping*

lights said...

Carey, Kim, come to Canada and marry ME!!! I detest grocery shopping. We have a small, expensive, lacking in variety grocery store about 10 minutes from us. The nearest "decent" grocery store is 40 minutes from us and means that I have to shop on my way home from work when I'm tired and hungry or pay the price and shop locally.

We bought $350 worth of groceries on Tuesday. That will hold us over for a month with a couple of small trips to the local store for stuff in between.

I used to enjoy shopping during the day when I wasn't working and had lots of time but now it's just a royal pain. Especially during the summer when it's hot and the trunk is full of groceries for the long ride home. I always put the cold stuff on the checkout first so it will be packed together and hopefully keep itself cool for the ride home.

Zombs said...

See funny. I do my shopping during the day, just mommies.

I like doing it better at night when there is no one there or the "young crowd".

Sometimes I like doing it. Now that our list is so big and so much money it has become a pain. Also I always have to run in there at least 2 or 3 times during the week anyway.

I do all paper goods at BJ's Swami! Even if it was just the two of us! Much better buys. I mean you always need TP and such!

Anonymous said...

I love to grocery shop. And I love buying baggies. Quart bags, gallon bags, pint backs, snack bags. And all of those nice tossable containers.

I go to the grocery store about once a day. And I love my grocery store. It's a place where there are still baggers who insist on walking you to your car. Instead of telling you the aisle where something is, they show you. Although I know where everything is, and I even help people myself.

I was going to blog and gripe about the old man bagger who gave me four bags instead of two, but decided not to since everything else there is so nice.

I think my favorite time to shop is right after the aisle clerks have moved everything up to the front to replace what people have bought. I used to work in a grocery store, and I can't think of the official term at the moment. But I like to look down the aisle and see it all perfect looking.

Facing. That's what we called it. We faced the product.

Anonymous said...

I only like to shop alone, BTW. When Michael or Conner is with me, they are PITAs. Conner won't give me the stuff because he's afraid we won't get it back. And I have to buy way more than we need.

Coco said...

Um, lights, you and I can just shack up together, okay? I love to grocery shop alone (or with Philippe when he's in a good mood).