Tuesday, August 01, 2006

This just in

I have a sinkhole in my blacktopped driveway!

Very bizzarre. It opened overnight.

That has been a slightly low spot in the drive for the past several years, and last night a hole "opened" for lack of a better word. It is about 6 inches x 8 inches across--but appears to be about 2 feet deep and way wider below the surface than the little 6 x 8 hole in the asphalt.

Of course, it is right in the middle of the garage back-out area.

I put an orange traffic cone beside it, and left Tom a phone message of "Watch out for the freaky sinkhole!!!" Hpefully he will not drive in after dark and have a wheel sink up to the axle. What a mess that would be! Because the hole is that deep and the edges of the asphalt look kind of crumbly.

Of course it has been raining most of the day, and all the water has been draining into the hole...

I think I'll go call Tom again and be sure he got my message!

I'd take a photo - but, well, it's raining too hard.

20 comments:

Bravie said...

Is that where the Martha party is going to be?
*looks around*

Zombs said...

Sinkhole is code right?

Are you and Tom getting it on tonight?

Can I join the Martha club? My name is Mary which I think is a form of Martha or maybe the other way around?

~Nutz said...

*looks for the Martha party*

My middle name is Mary, so I get in as long as Zombs does, right?

Dang! Be careful in your driveway. It could be huge underneath.

Swami said...

The prefex 'mar-' is the feminine form of an ancient Indo-European root meaning "incredibly intelligent and sexy" so yes, Marys are welcome. Margarets too!

And yes the hole is huge underneath. Small bears could hibernate in it, or a great big gang of gophers. There also seems to be a big tunnel leading off to one side. *sigh* I'm going to wind up with half my driveway ripped open, aren't I?

~Nutz said...

Oh man. That sucks. Maybe we can make a new underground room out of it. Just for holding the Martha parties!

kim (weltek) said...

Weird. I wish I had a blacktopped driveway...without the hole.

Oh, and I don't own any orange cones.

Zombs said...

I want an orange cone bra!

Heee....Swami's sinkhole has gophers in it.

Schnookie said...

You have orange cones on hand? *giggle*

Having a sink hole would freak me out. There aren't any aliens crawling out of it are there?

Maybe Bigfoot's inside.

Jen said...

I had an aunt named Marcy. Can I join too?

*gets rock-climbing gear to go into the underground Mar-party cave*

Puffy said...

How many orange traffic cones do you have stashed for emergencies like this?

Maybe your house was the site of the underground railroad from the Civil War. Maybe your house will be declared a historical monument.

Swami said...

The hole got a little bit bigger. Hopefully my asphalt guy will come tomorrow while I am at the dentist, bang around with his big maul then pour asphalt down the hole to patch the drive.

Aren't I lucky I actually have an asphalt guy? His name is Mike. His daughter and mine were best friends all through junior high, so when I have an asphalt emergency I know who to call.

Doesn't everyone have orange cones in their garage? Aren't you people prepared for, uh, stuff?

Seriously, if you have young kids out playing and the traffic on your street seems too fast, just put a couple of orange cones at the end of your driveway or on either side of the street in front of your drive, and people slow right down. Add a tipped over tricycle and they really slow down. Off course you can't do this every day but when there's a bunch of kids over it comes in quite handy.

I will now reserve 2 cones for Zombie's bra. I'm not sure what to call the cup size. FF? G? D to the tenth?

Zombs said...

Please save an extra one...I may want to sport it as a wacky hat.

Anonymous said...

Neighborboy has little orange cones. He always plays with them in their official role, and then Conner runs over and takes them and gives them out to everyone and calls them birthday hats.

I'm afraid we could end up with the same situation. We really need to have our driveway re-sealed, and we have a dip that should be fixed. We just need to sell this f'ing beach house so that we can take care of all of this stuff.

Swami said...

Hole in asphalt is bigger today. so easier to see into. I'm not kidding - a bear could sleep in there, no problem!

There is about an 8 ft dip in the driveway extending from the hole towards the house. This does not look good.

Maybe I can cheer up at the dentist's this morning. Although it will take me forever to get there. The usual freeway exit is closed for new bridge construction so I will have to drive the surface roads past 2 big, busy shopping centers to get there.

Swami said...

I'm also thinking that a cone would make a lovely codpiece, for bloggers so inclined.

Of course Conehead Zombie has first dibs on my remaining cones. Maybe at the Mar- Party we can wear them on our heads and then touch cones! Nnnnnnnnnnnnn...

mtw said...

My name is MARk. So I get to join the club, right? *smile*

Hmmmm, as Woody Allen said though, "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member."

momma said...

I don't have any orange cones either. Of course, I don't have a Mar-name, either. *sigh*

Seana said...

What's a Martha Party? I'm so out of the loop. :-(

I will be a Mar-Party crasher.

RE: sinkhole: that's just weird. I wonder what happened there. Will asphalt be enough? If you have a bit hole under the driveway, you may have to fill it with something before you can cover it.

I wonder if there's buried treasure under there. That would be cool.

Silvergirl said...

You have orange cones? I'll take my orange cone with a scoop of vanilla, please.

Sorry about the hole.

Surveysez said...

Does Marlene as a middle name count?

Sounds like the sinkhole is getting more expensive every day.