Background: We have many wild turkeys in the woods around my place. For some reason, they need to cross the road a lot. And in Spring when all that mating stuff goes on the turkey traffic gets extra busy.
Story: So yesterday, on my way back from town, a lone turkey walked out in front of me. I had lots of time to break and there were no other cars around. So did the turkey hurry? Did he break into low flight? Did he even run?
No. He challenged me. Right there in the middle of the road he did a full-tail feather spread. He stuck out the elbows of his wings and fluffed & spread all those feathers. Then he danced at me!!! Stupid turkey. I am sitting all alone on a country road, in a dead stop, and a turkey is display-dancing his little heart out right in front of my vehicle!
Maybe he thought my minivan would be receptive of some turkey love. Maybe he thought I was a rival. Who knows? I considered blowing my horn but then thought that might encourage him somehow. Eventually he finished his little dance and strutted off the road. Stupid turkey.
So do you city folks understand the stresses of country driving better now? You are not the only ones with hellish commutes! I was danced at by a turkey!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
*gobble gobble*
Swami, any chance you're a birdbrain?
Also, I have nothing really to come close to this, although one time, we stopped and watched two prairie chickens do the mating dance on the road in front of our car.
Why did the turkey cross the road?
He wanted to do the horizontal tango with Swami's minivan. :)
Too funny, Swami.
He thought you were hot.
LOL. *smooch*
You're driving a MINIVAN? For cod's sake, somebody start the intervention.
...mumble, mumble, I know you should be driving something more suitable to you, something sporty in a two seater.
Perhaps it was Taylor from AI?
I think that's so funny. I can just picture you sitting there, waiting for the turkey to finish his thing.
We have a lot of geese here at the office and they block the driveways sometimes. Or, they try to attack us as we are getting in our cars, if there's a nest nearby.
LOL @ Nookie! That would have been so great to see!
I love my minivan!
I have grown accustomed to sitting up high. Tom and I rented a Mustang on vacation last year, and I felt like I was dragging my ass down the pavement. I want to sit up high!
Okay, that's too damn funny. It's about as bad as the guinea hens and deer that live around here.
Post a Comment