(Actually, I'm going to paste the entire PM I just sent to Dweeze here. It explains my view well enough. It would seem I am a dissenting vote, so I thought I should opine this dissent in my own bloggie thing. I'm not trying to be a trouble-maker here, but I'm not jumping on any band-wagons either. (Oh. I fixed one spelling error that jumped out at me, otherwise this is exactly what I wrote to Dweeze.))
Hi Dweeze,
I'm just going to repeat something I wrote in MTW's blog a few minutes ago, regarding the OT/blog land linkie thing you and Alice are doing. It seems a lot of people like this idea, but I am not one of them. Please do not link me.
"The OT Round-up thing scares the pants off me. I do not want to be linked there. I don't go to OT on purpose so I don't want people I don't know from there invited to check me out nice and easy-like, just for something to do on a slow day. OT is big enough. Why does it have to swallow blog land?
Also, that seems to me like asking for trouble. When people who know me click around and find me--great! I'm glad you did. If people who get to know me from my comments in other's blogs start to interact with me--great! I'm happy to know you. I want to communicate and joke around with you.
Actually, on one of Kim's last blog entries she (or somebody in the comments) mentioned that that particular blog entry had been pointed out on OT. So I didn't comment on it because I felt weirded or something. And I usually comment on Kim's blog!"
(And by "Kim" I mean Weltek, not the other Kim aka Anotherkim.)
Sorry to be the dissenting vote. I know the blogs I frequent are public and my blog is public and people can find me if they want to. But I still don't want to be linked. I think a master list like the one you are building will lead to more trolls which in turn will drive people off the public-domain blogs and into private places. There are RL trolls out there. Why make it easy for them?
I found your blog because I like you, and was willing to put a modicum of effort into looking. Maybe some bloggers want all kinds of feedback from people known and unknown. Some blogs are set up to be read that way. IMO many of the blogs you will be linking are not that type. When the voyeurs vastly outnumber the bloggers then the whole enterprise becomes like HD's Naked Mile Run. I don't want to do that.
Now that I have written this to you I think I will post it on my blog too, so I can own this opinion publicly.
Peace and warm fuzzy regards,
Swami <--- still marching to a drummer only she can hear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
Woo hoo! Two shout outs in one day!
I'm not certain I ever asked if I could link your blog. I did it so *I* could find you easily. I will gladly unlink if you wish.
I'm not against being linked to by people I actually know, HD. It's just being on a list of links at that other place that freaks me out.
Um, you came very close to using an HDT quote at the end of your speech. You realize that, right?
(Oh. And I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I do not want my blog becoming an annex of the OT of present day.)
What are you talking about anyway? Is there a thread on OT?
I was reacting to MTW's blog, and a partial read of a link he has to just such a proposed thing. Or the discussion of it, I guess.
HDT talked about HD's Naked Mile run? Wow - what a small world!
I'm with you. I don't mind being linked to my friends but I don't want to be on a blanket link. And that is nothing against Dweeze nor Alice because I adore them both to pieces.
One of us is misunderstanding the intent of what Alice and Dweeze are doing. I agree with everything you say by the way, or I should say I agree with all the reasons you gave for not wanted to be included in the link.
My impression was that their new OT Roundup blog would be just as private as any of our blogs. Just a place for people to post whether they had updated recently so that those of us already "in the group" so to speak, could easily see who had updated recently without having to click on everyone's blog.
Maybe an idea with merit, maybe not. I like clicking even on not-updated blogs just to check out new comments. One thing I liked was being able to tell peeps "in the circle" they could link me if they want without having to tell each one individually. For example, there are people I would like to lionk, but don't have specific permission from yey - Debscapsfan, Buggy, etc. And I'd allow any of tem to link me. Posting a blanket permission would be an easy way to do this.
However, the idea of posting a thread about it on OT greatly bothers me. Anyone here could post a thread about their blog on OT. I could say "hey, click here on my blog. I have Monsty and Swami and HD all linked in one place". That would be terrible no matter who did it. I don't think the OT ROundup increases our exposure risk unless they post about it on OT.
I am much more worried about peeps who put their blog links in their tag lines on OT. Nailbone, arkie, and syren all used to do that. I dont know if they still do because I haven't looked in a long time.
Like the rest of you, I enjoy the interaction with familiar peeps and occassional new ones, but I don't want just anyone going there all the time.
If you really want to monitor who's visiting your blog, there are free tools that will help with that. I had a commenter a while back who found me through a search engine. She wanted to link me and I had to tell her no because I didn't want a lot of outsiders finding our little community.
I gave permission to be linked there and look at it exactly the same as anyone else who has me linked. I am assuming it won't be linked (broadcasted) over at OT. I also know that anyone at OT can find my blog through any of the peeps taglines that link their own blog.
Maybe we just need some clarification as to whether it will be advertised on OT, before everyone decides.
FTR, I can totally understand all your reasons for being cautious, Swami. I guess I just like to live dangerously. *grin*
I agree that peeps do need to be careful about broadcasting their blogs on OT.
A blogger once posted an OT thread to let folks know that he had updated his blog. A non-blogger added a reply to that thread that he likes going to that particular blog and then clicking on the link to my blog to access my list of OT bloggers.
I have mixed feelings about that.
Yeah, we're subject to lurkers all the time. I understand that. I think the DAW in all of us, to greater and lesser extents, enjoys the possibility of lurkers.
I also know that I never would have found my way to blogland if it weren't for a couple of folks including links to their blogs when they posted on OT.
Still, I get a little nervous about who might be visiting. There are two posters on OT that I would never sit down and share a meal with. Do I really want either of them reading my blog? And then there's the Furious_Georges and HissyDefectives of the world --- as well as the Disgusteds and the Surprises --- and they have the potential to cause problems in blogland and in real life.
I agree with everything you wrote Swami.
I do have to remind everyone though ... this is the internet and your blogs are public. People will find you because we are all linked somewhere.
Reading these comments has certainly been food for thought. Being a relative newcomer to blogland, I'm still getting a feel for how things work, and potential problems and or benefits that come from participation here.
Lately, I have included a link to my blog in my sig line on OT. After reading some of your comments, I have come to the conclusion that it is not in my (or anybody I link) best interest.
Thanks for everyone's insight.
Two things.
One.
I have my own dropdown Blog Favorites file where I keep everyone's links. Thus, only I can see my links, they are not public.
I found most people by clicking on their name in the comments section of someone else's blog, going down to the bottom of their profile and finding their blog name/address there. Then I pasted that into my Blog Favorites file. It took a little while and a few people have made their blogs in accessible that way. So I can't comment on their blog unless I ask them somewhere to send me the address.
Two. Why does the process have to be so darn efficient?
Like MTW said, I go looking for comments because they're the icing on the cake! Even if a blog entry is 2, 3 days, even a week or more old - there may be a great conversation still going on there! An 'updated blog' notice would not reflect that I think.
Most blogs I go to are updated pretty regularly so I check them pretty regularly. Some blogs update rarely & sporadically; those I check sporadically.
For people in that last, irregular category a master list might mean that people will notice and respond to you right away. But if you only make entries now and then, why do you require an immediate response?
I enjoy the easy anarchy of blog land. I know we are public. I know there are blurkers. I regard most of them as harmlessly curious eavesdroppers - like people at the next table in a restaurant - I don't much care.
I just don't like being on a list that can be easily saved and passed around as one thing. I find it intrusive. I think it's inviting trolls and nasty eavesdroppers. It is no service to me.
P.S. Hi Meemo! And welcome to my blog, lol...
Nookie <----- hearting Swami since forever!
Swami <--- hearted Nookie first, before she was everyone's favorite!
For some reason Swami, you are number one on my list of: "People Who I Forget Are NOT Really Canadian".
Don't know why, really. You are also on my list of "People Who Need to Show me the Monkey". But that one is kind of obvious.
This where I admit that I actually am not really sure what 'show me the monkey' means. My current theories are all fairly r-rated and kinky.
Honestly, I had thought of it in the way you did. I do agree with you. I was just excited to have a mutual gathering place.
I got here by following HD's link over there. And found the others through the links. So that leaves me in the middle on the whole thing.
Now that we've had our trolls I'm hoping that no one can cause such a ruckus again.
I agree.
Oh and Nookie was mine before she was anyone else's favorite. *giggle*
*head tilt* I have no idea what post that was, but I feel special for being mentioned in your letter (although I'm not really sure if it was in a good, bad or completely sterile way). :-)
I kind of feel the same way as you. I'm not participating in that because I prefer to keep my blog semi-private. I don't mind if people find me via my blog friends' links or my comments, but I don't want to "advertise" my blog to that whole audience.
So I just haven't gone to that Roundup blog since initially seeing what it was about. I'm choosing to ignore it. No biggie to me.
Plus, I update almost daily during the week, so it would be fairly pointless to me to post on the Roundup, IMHO.
*smooches* back to Sally.
*puts a reserved sign on the bloggish sleeper sofa*
Drop in whenever you want, Sally. Really.
Feel free to consider the source here, but I've found that if there's something related to OT online, the absolutely last person(s) on OT you want to find it will be the one(s) that does (do).
Post a Comment