Thursday, May 18, 2006

MM's Meme, and BBQ

I borrowed this from MM's blog. I know she said she got it from Catt, but MM's Meme just has such a lovely homophonous ring, how can I not say it?

I AM: drinking coffee
I WANT: Tom to come home
I WISH: that I could be young again; I hate getting old.
I HATE: Oh. See above.
I MISS: My mother more than I can say
I FEAR: Anything ever happening to Tom!
I HEAR: Birdsong. Birds make me happy
I WONDER: How my children will succeed in life, and what their future holds.
I REGRET: That I never really knew my father, since he died when I was still a teen.
I AM NOT: Who I think I am, but I wish I was.
I DANCE: As if no one is looking. Because when you’re old, they’re not. Unless they need a good laugh.
I SING: In the shower, in my car, while I’m cooking, whenever I want. I don’t sing well or even complete songs, but I sing.
I CRY: As little as possible. Crying hurts.
I AM NOT ALWAYS: A good parent.
I MAKE WITH MY HANDS: Things that I love
I WRITE: To save myself.
I CONFUSE: Perception with reality.

On the BBQ front, I love our local Mongolian BBQ place. Everything is so fresh, so tasty and the cost is way cheap! When Tom is not home I rarely cook so yesterday on my way home from town I stopped at the BBQ and got a take-out lunch. They give you a big styrofoam container and you can fill it with whatever you want. In my case this included fresh stir-fry (you pick the uncooked ingredients you want from a buffet of uncooked meats & veggies. I get thin sliced beef, pork, Mongolian noodles, shrimp, pea pods, onions, sprouts, celery, cilantro. You ladle on whatever oils, sauces and spices you want from the same buffet. I take sesame oil, chopped garlic, Mongolian sauce and oyster sauce. Then a guy with 2 ft long chopsticks custom cooks your order on a three foot heated steel slab and swoops it onto a fresh plate. So. Yummy.)

Since the stir fry only filled about 2/3 of my box I filled the rest up from their huge buffet of already cooked specialties. I got a bunch of pepper chicken and 4 sesame rice dumpling things. I don't know what they are called but they are very similar to an Indian thing called Malpuris, only better. They are made with a special kind of highly glutinous rice that is spiced, cooked and then pounded and stretched like taffee until it is a paste with such a lovely smooth texture. Then you roll it into balls, roll each ball into whole sesame seeds, and flatten the ball into a small disc maybe 2 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Man, I love those! I got 4 of them, lol.

The meal is sold by weight. So for $6.02 I got enough food for lunch and dinner! I love Mongolian BBQ!

8 comments:

cq said...

this post makes me hungry. now i need to raid my fridge.

~Nutz said...

Dang! I'm hungry now too!

*follows cq to her fridge*

Surveysez said...

I feel the need for stir fry and salt and pepper calamari.

Swami said...

Mongolian stir-fry is way better than those Japanese cook-on-your-table places. The samurai knife show is fun, but 2 foot chopsticks are not for sissies and getting to choose your exact ingredients is priceless!

Bravie said...

Mmmmmmm, I want to come to your state and go buffeting with you.

Coco said...

Aaaaaaagh.. salt and pepper calamari. I haven't eaten that in so long, and I adore it. The local idea of Chinese food involves onion rings and weenies in sweet-and-sour sauce.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Hungry!

mm said...

Loved your answers, Swami. They were either funny as hell, or very sweet.

Also, did you notice I responded to the last comment you made on my second to last blog entry? Didn't want you thinking I was abusive, is all. *grin*