Every spring my house becomes the set of a Hitchcock movie. Birds fly into my windows all the time, looking for a nesting site. My house is deep evergreen color with bark brown trim. I live in a forest. I have huge houseplants just inside most windows. I can see why they get confused.
Mostly they can fly away. Sometimes they lay on the ground stunned for 2 - 10 minutes, then shake if off and fly away smarter & wiser birds. Sometimes they break their little necks. And every year a few manage to build their nests right on my house.
This year I have robins nesting on top of my crank-out bedroom window, and in a crany over the garage door. There are swallows in the lawn shed attached to the back of our attached garage. Some kind of fly catcher bird has glued his nest high on the west side of the house. My favorite bird is a teeny tiny little wren who is the Pavarotti of birds. Man that bird has pipes! And the most beautiful song ever. I have a little wren house hanging just outside my kitchen window.
So I am not happy that now that I no longer have a dog my neighbors' cats have started hanging out around my house! I yell when I see them but of course cats just do what they do.
In the surrounding trees I have mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, owls, song sparrows and I assume nuthatches, woodpeckers and chickadees--but they nest high in the trees so I can't see their nests.
I like birds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Maybe you should paint your house a different color. Say, lime green with hot pink trim. :D
*thhhhbt* to Jen.
Plus, I like blending in. I dislike houses painted strange, bright colors. Like the idiots around here who paint their house Vikings purple. Morons! I'm glad no one like that live near me!
I like birds too. I wish we had more of a variety. I got so excited about seeing a woodpecker that I believe I mentioned it on someone's blog. We have a hawk around here that lives in the scoreboard of the stadium and attacks pigeons.
You need a Supersoaker for the cats.
The birds are what made Hawaii so magical.
I lvoe birds also, but I resist drawing them to my yard. They'd just be cat food.
I find bird food is usually cheaper than cat food.
I'd be scared to sun my vulva then in the backyard. Wouldn't want any birds flying in there.
I don't feed the birds. They come because I have stuff they like for eating and nesting growing in my yard.
We have hawks and eagles do flyovers, but the trees are too dense for them to hunt here. We also have various cranes & herons that do a fishing walk up our creek once or twice a month.
The hummingbirds won't arrive for a few weeks, since they follow the flower-bloom line north. Hummingbirds love me because I plant lots of things for them, and they like to nest in large conifers.
Just for fun, why don't you invite Lasann to your house? I hear that she adores forests.
Last year about this time I had a bird hit out patio door and lay there stunned on the deck. I called my Dad and asked him what to do. He told me to pick it up and put it in a box with some warm cloths and bring it inside until it warmed up. I couldn't find a box with a lid and didn't want it flying around in the house. This was while Dave was working out of town, so I put a blanket in a box and set it in the sunshine. Once it warmed up and it's ears stopped ringing, it flew away on it's own. I felt so happy that I'd helped the little thing.
We had a hummingbird in the porch at the cottage last year. Dave had to put the hummingbird feeder in front of the open door to entice it outside. The poor little thing was getting so tired from trying to find the way out.
Listening to the Mourning Doves in the morning is my favorite.
When we first moved in we had a "brain-dead" female cardinal that kept trying to get into the basement via the windows. The male just sat in a bush and looked at her like she was crazy.
She stopped showing up many years ago. Died, I assume. (Not sure about a cardinal's life span.)
One's back again this year. Going for the same windows (and the moon roofs/side mirrors on our cars). Male still sits in the same bush and looks at her like she's crazy.
Great fun for our kittens on the inside. :)
I found the Mourning Dove nest this morning. They are on top or our gate post so I guess I will startle them every time I get the morning paper. They're only about 7 ft off the ground - I hope no cats get them!
i hate birds. but it's good that you like them, since you seem to be inundated with them.
when i grow up i need soundproof windows.
Post a Comment