Friday, November 28, 2008

Post- Turkey News

1. I am eating cranberry-pecan bread for breakfast. I love it when things that are basically cake are called "bread". There is so much less guilt involved in eating bread for breakfast.

2. This is white sandwich week. I love white sandwiches! White bread, white mayo, white turkey meat. Perfection. And just to stay balanced Mr Swami prefers dark bread, dark meat and brown mustard.

3. Mr Swami planned to brave the Black Friday crowds this morning and stop on his way into work to pick up some self-ratcheting tie-down straps he craves.

4. My turkey carcass spent the night in the garage. This is the one advantage to living in the Great White North - I have a drive-in fridge for overflow food!

5. Today and this weekend I will get all my Christmas cards addressed. Then I have about a week to write messages or otherwise personalize them before the mass mailing. I am going to buy Christmas-themed Avery labels and just print my to & from addresses. That's not too tacky, is it? I'll print them in a nice hand-writing font like Lucinda.

6. I think I will downsize Christmas this year. I want a smaller tree, only 6 ft or so, so that I can handle it myself. I get tired of waiting for Mr swami to help me with our usual 9+ ft tree.

7. I want new boots.

8. I need new gloves. I never find gloves I want easily. Mostly I wear gloves for driving, otherwise I just stick my hands into my coat pockets.

9. Grandson was in the grandstand for Macy's big parade in NYC yesterday. I have never seen that parade - or the Rose Bowl parade. Maybe next year.

10. Who does Black Friday shopping? I may do mine online. No crowds!!!

9 comments:

Swami said...

Mr Swami just reported that Menards parking lot was completely full - and also both sidestreets near it. He wisely decided to not stop for his self-ratcheting straps. I didn't know men got so into Black Friday. Because I think of Menards as a man store.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Tell him to stay away from Walmart. People die there!

P.S. Please send me some turkey with my Christmas card. Thank-you!

yvonne said...

I did my Black Friday shopping online at Amazon and Best Buy. YAY for the internet! I did a short trip to the grocery store an hour ago and it was not crowded at all.

This morning on the local news they were giving parking lot reports. Most of the Targets, Kohl's, Wal-Marts, and area malls were 100% full at 6:30am.

Black Friday shoppers are nuts.

Swami said...

I heard briefly that someone got trampled after s/he opened the doors for the rush of early shoppers. So stupid.

I went to Barnes & Noble at about noon, and it was about as crowded as usual.

My turkey is history. A 22 lb bird has been reduced to 1 box of sandwich meat and 1 box of recipe sized pieces. The bones have been boiled and picked for soup, thus rendering one smaller box of soup bits. I have 2 big boxes of very rich broth which I can skim of fat tomorrow and make oodles of lovely soup from.

Does anyone besides me still boil & pick the turkey carcass? I feel so neolithic when I do it - but mom always did so I do it to. From a 22 lb bird I probably threw away only about 3 & 1/2 lbs of bones, weird stuff, and internal organs I don't want or eat. Not bad.

Seana said...

My mom always made soup from the turkey bones and ham bones, too. I wish my family would eat soup if I made it, but they wouldn't.

2. A white sammich sounds lovely. Especially if it were grilled with a bit of stuffing.

3. I'm glad that Tom made it back from the stores alive. What is it with those little plastic tie-things? DH loves them to bits. We have bags of them.

We don't have Black Friday, so I don't shop then. I used to go shopping on Boxing Day years ago, when I was younger and braver. :-)

lights said...

Mmmmm, white sandwich week works for me. But I like mine toasted.

LOL @ the drive in fridge...I can totally relate. During the winter I can use my laundry room as a cold room too if I keep the door closed. One year I had pop freeze and explode in that room.

Thanks for the reminder...I need to do my Christmas cards this weekend too. And put up the tree. I need to get my ass out of bed. LOL

I have new boots. I call them my "hooker boots". Still haven't worn them but I will. :D


My leather gloves are about 8 years old and I love them muchly. They fit like, um, gloves.

I always tear the bird down and salvage as much as possible. Turkey soup is sooooooo good. Always. If I don't want to or have time to boil it right away, I just stuff it in a bag and put it in the freezer to boil later. Never just throw it out.

Swami said...

Seane, I'm not talking about those little bungee-cord, stretchie ties. We have a bunch of those too. The ones Mr Swami wanted were 1 inch x 15 ft tie-downs, with a built in ratchet near one end so you can reaaaallllly tighten them. We gave away a couple with out pontoon boat when we sold it this spring, and then gave a couple to my daughter who left from her last visit with enough loot that some had to be strapped on top of her car.

*wolf whistles at Lightsie in her hooker boots*

I found my good leather driving gloves! They were in the pockets of my winter coat, which I wore for the first time yesterday.

Bravie said...

I did my first Black Friday shopping this year. Really not as bad as I thought it would be. the plus is that I finished all but a couple of things. so the crowds were worth it to me now that it's over and I don't have to deal with the malls anymore between now and Christmas.
I have been eating dark sammiches. Nobody else likes the dark meat except my Dad so I didn't have to share much of it. We did two turkeys because we got a freebie at the supermarket for spending so much money on my last shopping trip. Dad deep fried them and we divided the leftovers.

Puffy said...

What are boots for? What are gloves for?

I make turkey soup, too.