Thursday, August 07, 2008

Won't You Be My Neighbour?

*zips up cardigan*

Yeah - so I live on the low rent end of a little country lane that has some very ritzy properties on it, inhabited by people who own and/or head up companies and a few big spending surgeons and trial lawyers.

One house has been a bit checkered lately. The business guy retired, sold his company and took his Jaguar collection to Florida. Sold his house to Tire Company Guy who everybody hated because he was a Bad Neighbour. Tire Guy got mad at the neighbourhood and left in a miff, leaving his house rented to a couple who pretended they bought it and were Trust Fund Babies or something. Turns out they weren't. They never even paid their Road Association dues.

Recently, I found out that the bank had foreclosed on the property because Tire Guy stopped making payments a while ago. Bank evicted the pretended Big Money Heirs and took possession. Today? There's a little sign at the end of my road. Coming Soon - Bank Auction! It's kind of sad and kind of funny too because no one deserves foreclosing on more than Tire Guy, I guess.

Anyway. I am not looking forward to auction day. I guess a bunch of strangers will get to drive past my house to the auction and try to stare in my windows and stuff. I may give them a one-finger wave. Unless they are you. Won't you be my neighbour? It's a pretty nice house!

8 comments:

Tummy said...

*shudder Road Association Dues are the same as Home Owners Association Dues aren't they?

I don't do well with HOA's. If I want to paint my door Chocolate Cherry Red, I'm going to paint my door Chocolate Cherry Red!

But other than that it would be fun to be your neighbor.

kim (weltek) said...

I would love to be your neighbor. Too bad buying a second house isn't in our financial future.

I think you should put on an old lady housecoat and sit in your front lawn with empty beer cans all around you. A good impression is very important.

Swami said...

Tummy, the Road Association maintains the road - repairs, snow plowing, etc. There are no covenants about your private property whatsoever.

Kim, or I could put on my frumpy housecoat, turn my back to the road and then bend over and do some weeding. My gardens actually do need weeding. And Mr. Swami bought some ale last weekend so I could scatter a few bottles around too, I guess.

Silvergirl said...

I wish. Good luck with the new neighbors who ultimately buy the place. The neighbor across our driveway is putting his house on the market soon, and the extra people who come over to help him have messed up my parking spot today. I had to park up the street from my house because the person did not pull forward enough so that I could park in front of my house. I hope someone nice buys his house, but it's going to be tough to sell it in this market.

Tummy said...

Well, in that case I could totally be your neighbor, well, except for the fact that you don't live in Oklahoma :)

Now I'm wishing I had a Driveway Association, a Lawn Association, a Dinner/Dishes Ass., a Laundry Ass....should I go on *grin

Anonymous said...

We have a house for sale across the street from me. It's a nice house, very big, and it has an extra garage with a door on both sides. A smart owner would turn it into a neighborhood Brew Thru. :)

The yard absolutely sucks. When we moved in five years ago, his yard was the nicest or one of the nicest in the neighborhood. Alcohol and a divorce have killed it.

There is another for sale at the front of the neighborhood - it's the fixed up foreclosure.

yvonne said...

If we were neighbors we could watch the Olympics together. I love the Olympics. Love.It.

Puffy said...

I like Kim's idea.