A couple of days ago I bought 2 artificial poinsettias because they were practically giving them away and I thought they would brighten up a couple of dark corners. Today, I watered them. *sigh*
Also today I got my annual Xmas letter from the news boy. The first year we had him he included a self-addressed envelope with one paper, so we could conveniently tip him I guess. Then the next year he upped the ante to a small card with his addie info and a plaintive little note about how if you stick cash into the paper box sometimes it blows away and stuff. Now the news boy is all grown up and knows how to beg for money properly. We got this lovely little Xmas letter from him today, printed on fancy paper with red & green stockings across the top:
"Each year during the holiday season, I take great pleasure in setting aside time to send a heartfelt message to all my customers to thank you for your continued business. Delivering the newspaper from Blank to Blank, and Blank to the river is a real privilege. It is over 200 miles long (I see over 50 deer a night) but there is little doubt this area is the most beautiful area in the seven county metro."
Blah, blah, blah... "best wishes, Happy Holidays", and his name and address.
Isn't it nice when the children grow up and learn how to solicite money properly?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm still chuckling that you watered the fake poinsettas.
And marveling at the newsboy. At least he's polite in his solicitations.
*snort* @ you watering the poinsettias and also at the paperboy.
My local paper ran an article on what to tip people who provide services over the holidays. I gotta tell you, they clearly think I'm made of money. I was just going to get a couple little 3-packs of Lindor chocolates. High quality, if low quantity. I figured that would say: "I appreciate the service you provide and want to show it, but have no money."
LOL-I can't believe you watered them!
I think that's nice, and yet funny, that the newsboy is so flattering!
And, Seana, I think your chocolate tipping is a-ok!
Actually, I only watered one of them. I have lots & lots of real plants that I water from left to right, so to speak, and the poinsettia just got included because it was there and I wasn't quite awake yet. Then when it started dripping right away I suddenly realized my faux pas.
The chocolates sound lovely, Seana. Splitting the three-pack into three seperate gifts? Yeah, that might be cheap...
LOL @ watering the plant!
I liked his solicitation, but I wouldn't let it determine whether I tipped him or not.
From his letter, it sounds like he should be tipping YOU! I, too, am chuckling at watering the poinsettias. Just don't *plant* them, okay?
LOL on all counts. My "paper woman" included a greeting card with the newspaper. She had her name and address on the envelope. I just used the same card that she gave me (she hadn't signed it), because her name was already on the envelope. I gave her some gift cards to rent movies (bought from a charitable organization, so I scored on two counts).
Post a Comment