Monday, October 22, 2007

Home Made Tortilla Soup Is...

...simply divine. Food of the gods. Soup AND a fresh salad, in one bowl of deliciousness. Why has no one told me this before? I plan to make it every week all winter long!

On another food topic (so-called food, actually) my DD's BF makes his "signature" dish quite often at my house, usually late at night. It smells like dog vomit and wakes me up every time he makes it. Yuck. When he made it at 4 a.m. this morning (he and the DD arrived long after Tom and I went to bed) it made me feel all itchy too - so I had to get up, take a shower and wash my hair!

So. Which recipe would you like?

13 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

So, what do you think this "signature" dish is actually supposed to be?

I can't sleep when weird food smells linger in the house. Makes me ill.

momma said...

I need this tortilla soup recipe, please.

And WTF is DD's BF making? Yick. I think you should tell him he's no longer allowed to make his signature dish in your signature kitchen!

Swami said...

Signature dish involves chicken breast bits, ramen noodles (with spice pack) rice, lots of grated cheese, milk, too much dry Italian seasoning, too much dry Cajun seasoning, extra salt. Cook in a saucepan until well mushed together. *vomits*

I'll get the tortilla soup recipe up later, Momma. I'm feeling queezy just now.

momma said...

OMH. I can understand the queasiness after reading that ooky recipe. Blech.

Seana said...

OK, yuck to the signature dish.

I've always thought tortilla soup sounded gross, but now I'm curious.

*waits for recipe*

Not that I couldn't go look one up myself or something.

Puffy said...

My house smells like fire.

kim (weltek) said...

Ew, that sounds incredibly nasty.

Debcapsfan said...

Ugh, that signature dish sounds soooo nasty, how can anyone eat that?
I do like tortilla soup though.

dragonflies said...

I've never had tortilla soup. The sound of mushy chips grosses me out. But so does DDBF's "signature" recipe. Maybe you need to reteach him how to write.

Swami said...

Strangely, there are no tortillas involved in this Tortilla Soup but my older daughter insists that this is the proper name for it.

Tortilla Soup.

Ingredients:

1 cut-up frying chicken. (A 3-legged fryer is fine too.)

1 box of Organic Farms Chipotle Corn Bisque.

2 large ripe tomatoes, unpeeled, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces.

2 ripe avocado, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces.

1 smaller red onion, chopped to about half the size of the above ingredients.

1 bunch of Cilantro leaves, well washed and coarsely chopped.

1 cup (at least) of finely grated Mexican 4-Cheese Mixture. (No added spices, just 4 kinds of cheese.

1 package of low salt, 6 inch tostadas. Chips might do in a pinch, but real tostadas are better.

Method.

Place cut-up frying chicken into a large pot, barely cover with water and bring to a boil. Add one tsp of salt, cover and simmer the chicken until it is almost ready to fall off the bone. This is usually about 50 minutes to an hour.

With tongs, remove the chicken pieces and let them cool until you can start to pull the meat off the bones. I use two forks with an occasional assist from my fingers. (Stuff is still hot!) Discard the skin and bones.

Toss the chicken chunks with a heaping tsp of chili powder.

To the chicken broth left in the pan add the entire box of corn soup, then the seasoned chicken pieces. Let simmer while you cut up the rest of the ingredients. (Check for salt at some point. You may want to add a bit more.)

In each individual soup bowl, layer in all the chopped, uncooked ingredients--grated cheese, avocado, red onion, tomatoes and cilantro. (We just put the chopped stuff into dishes to pass so each person can add the fresh stuff to their own bowl.) The bowl should be just about full of fresh ingredients before you proceed.

Ladle the hot chicken soup over the uncooked ingredients to fill each bowl and let it be for about 30 seconds. The piping hot soup warms all the other stuff and melts the cheese quite nicely in that time. The final soup mixture is nicely hot.

At this point you could top the soup with crisp fried strips of tortilla (thus Tortilla Soup) but instead we buy low salt tostadas and break them up to use as the "crackers."

As improbable as it sounds - this is delicious!

You can order Tortilla Soup at many Mexican restaurants but generally it is just chicken broth with a few vegetables and too much soggy tortilla pieces. My soup is rich, thick, chunky - a solid meal. Rich simmered broth with fresh crunchy ingredients and a chunk of chicken in every bite.

Now I want some!

lights said...

Most importantly? *hugs Swami*

Next? I'm considering having a knee replacement in hopes that I can get some of that therapy you've been getting. *giggle*

Tortilla Soup sounds delicious!

Glad to have you back with us Swami. Sorry it took me so long to get my butt over here. I blame the painting. Thankfully, it's DONE!!! *hops*

Anonymous said...

You lost me at avodcado. I just can't do it.

There is a little place in my office park called Apple Spice Junction. It has the best Tortilla Soup I've ever had. And no tortillas are involved. Go figure.

They serve it with a dallop of sour cream and multi-colored corn chips. I like to spoon a bit onto the chip and eat it that way.

And I NEED the sour cream because of the kick.

Swami said...

Lights, you can start the therapy right now as a pro-active conditioning thing. Thereapy is always good.

Boo, I had my doubts about fresh avocado in a hot soup too. But when my #1 daughter made the soup I became an instant convert. It's good!

And don't be shy with the cilantro either.