Thursday, August 02, 2007

Clean clean clean clean clean clean clean.

What I'm doing today, along with watching the Minnesota Bridge Collapse Show on CNN. Very shocking to see a bridge I used to drive over every day laying in the river. Very strange. We are all fine and unaffected! The St Croix is our river these days, not the Mississippi. Remember when I posted the pics of Humpty Dumpty statues? This is very close to that gallery. I think on that trip we drove under the bridge several times on a road that follows the bank of the river. We used to picnic almost under that bridge too, just a little north of it.

Anyway, I am cleaning because my oldest DD is coming for a visit in a couple of weeks. She is allergic to everything - especially dust. So the room she is going to sleep in has to be completely dismantled and every surface including the walls washed. This is the room my son uses on weekends and where I have stuffed the closet full of stored stuff. All the stuff has to come out because stuff is full of dust. So I am running all the quilts and stuff through the dryer to de-dust them, then I will bag them up. A bunch of stuff has to be hauled to the basement.

*sigh* It's nice to have her visit, but a pain to do all the cleaning. She is allergic to cats, and I have two cats.

16 comments:

Seana said...

I'm glad you're OK, but sorry to hear about the cleaning.

Does Benadryl (or whatever) not work?

mtw said...

Wow, those are some extreme allergies! It could be worse, I guess, right?

*can't think how*

Breezy said...

Could you come and clean my house next? *grin*

Puffy said...

1. What are you going to do with your cats?
2. Where will your son be on the weekends when she's there?

*achoo*

Swami said...

Breezy - no way in bloody hell. I hate cleaning!

I forget the name of the med she takes, Seana. Not Benadryl. She gets asthma-type symptoms.

Puffy!
1. Cats are going to get a bath in allergan-reducing shampoo, and spend more time outdoors than they might want.
2. Son sleeps in his room, he does not hang out there. DD and grandson will get blow-up mattresses on the living room floor when he sleeps here - unless they want to "camp" on the screen porch.

kim (weltek) said...

Ugh, the cleaning doesn't sound fun. I dumped my first college roomie because of her extreme allergies. We had to vacuum and dust three times/week. That and her "daddy's girl" personality grated on me enough to move out.

Zombs said...

I'm glad everything is OK with you and your family. I thought of you when I heard about it.

I heard once that people with bad allergies, left handed and are near sighted are prone to be geniuses.

Swami said...

*wonders if this explains Zombie's extreme genius qualities*

Mostly, house dust and mold are her worse enemies. So yes, Kim. Lots of vacuuming just before she comes. I will shop-vac all the furniture too.

Bravie said...

I hate to come into your clean blog and spread my germs. I better leave now. *waves*

kim (weltek) said...

Could you come over and shop-vac my mattresses? I thought about doing it this weekend, but my energy waned. You seem to enjoy using the shop-vac more than any woman I know.

Swami said...

KIm, shopvacs really suck, lol. They are great for hard to reach corners and really sucking the heck out of deep things, like mattresses and upholstered furniture. My little Dirt Devil and regular vac barely lift cat hair off stuff. The shopvac? Whooosh! All gone! Every last little hair.

Plus, my living room has some granite tables and large bookcases that I just can't move. The shopvac will suck the dirt from behind/under them so well that I don't need to be too concerned if I can't reach back there with a damp cloth.

And lord help me - I have started on the closets now...

Anonymous said...

I used to stick Mr. Bear in the freezer all the time to kill dustmites, and I was pretty fanatical about keeping everything else in Conner's room dust free. It's not an issue anymore. But I still keep that air cleaning machine in there, and I dust it more than any other room.

He used to take Singulair. Maybe that's what your daughter takes.

Debcapsfan said...

At first I thought Mr. Bear was a cat and I would have to call the SPCA on you.
Does Grandson have the same allergies?

mtw said...

You missed a spot.

Puffy said...

LOL at MTW!

Breezy said...

Are you still cleaning?