Thursday, April 26, 2007

Poor Little Daffodils

This is what that nasty cold snap in early April did to my poor daffodils. (I'm looking down at them laying flat on the ground; you may have to click the photo to even see the buds.) The weatherman said it might get chilly overnight - then it went down to 14'F and pretty much stayed there for 10 days. The daffodil buds lay on the ground like this for the next 2 weeks.



So I thought "Hey, what if I cut those flower buds off and stick them in water? What will happen?"

So I did. The stems were so mushy that I couldn't get more than about 4 inches of stem that seemed intact enough that it might be capable of drawing up water. Low and behold the buds started blooming within hours! Okay - they are sad and pathetic blossoms compared to what they could have been. But hey. They tried!!!


Just for fun, I left Clarabelle in the frame. I like Clarabelle.

10 comments:

momma said...

Clarabelle is CUTE! I think she needs to come to my house and live with my cows.

I'm so jealous of the daffodils. Even if they did freeze and look pathetic. Mine never did bloom. *pout*

kim (weltek) said...

First I was sad..then I saw Clarabelle and the blooming daffodils and I was happy. What a great short story, Swami. :-)

Bravie said...

I love Clarabelle. Not in a homosexual kind of way.
Not that there would be anything wrong with that.

Swami said...

Clarabelle makes me happy. I love her to death. I am not a cow collector but when Clarabelle looked up at me from Walgreen's Christmas Clearance rack a few years ago I just had to take her home with me. I would have paid full price!

HistoryDetective said...

Clarabelle is cute.

I sent you a PM at Circle Of.

Aislinn Sirk said...

That is a touching story.

Well, for a story about dead flowers and clearance rack china cows.

~Nutz said...

*sniffs the purty flowers*

*pats Clarabelle on the head*

Puffy said...

Sniff. Moo.

MM said...

Yikes! That first pic was sad! Good thing it was a happy ending. :)

Schnookie said...

I discovered some daffodils in the woods about a month ago. They are pretty flowers.

I love Clarabelle!