Thursday, January 18, 2007

Yet Another Olde Story.

Zombie's photo yesterday - the little boy covered with stick-on panti-liners - reminded me of something my oldest daughter once did. I don't think I have ever told a tale from my first marriage here.

My first husband and I had a group of other couples we socialized with a lot. About once a month it was my "turn" to have everyone over for dinner. This meant I usually had a few very busy hours in the kitchen because we wives were into one-upping each other over our menus. So DD had to play on her own for a while. Usually she would just draw or put on a record. (Yes, a record. Quit laughing!) For winter exercise fun I often played John Phillip Sousa marches and the two of us would parade around the house, waving ad hoc batons. It was fun.

Anyway, 4 y.o. DD played quietly for a while while I finished cooking. Our guests arrived pretty much in a bunch and were seated in the family room/dining room with a glass of wine. I went to the kitchen. At some point I heard my daughter enter the room, loudly humming a Sousa march (that Be Kind to your Fine Feathered Friends one). After a few moments everyone burst into raucous laughter.

Turns out, DD marched into the room with a make-shift "harmonica" composed of empty tampax tubes in her mouth, and twirling the little tampons over her head (holding them by the strings) as she performed her march. Too funny! Very embarrasing, but just a hilarious performance.

10 comments:

Bravie said...

*snort* I bet she is happy that you didn't have a video camera back then. LOL

Zombs said...

Hmmm...I did not know those made a noise.

I might hand them out as party favors next party.

HistoryDetective said...

*makes mental note not to accept party favors at zombs' next party*

Aislinn Sirk said...

I would pay to be invited your parties.

Puffy said...

Bravie, they didn't have video cameras back then.
*ducks*

Anonymous said...

Conner played with my tampons once. He was fascinated by the yellow wrappers.

Swami said...

Puffy, I have a stone carving of this event but I couldn't figure out6 how to upload it.

lights said...

LOL! I seem to remember one of my siblings using a tampon applicator as a...what the hell do you call it...like binoculars but single eye sight? Both Dave and I are having brain freezes at the moment. My excuse is that I just returned from the dentist and had freezing to fix a broken tooth. He's just old and forgetful. *giggle*

Schnookie said...

LMAO! Both DH & I had a good chuckle over that story. :-)

Puffy said...

Lights-monocular. I have one.