Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The War Between Books and Art

Is being waged in my living room. I have a large but limited amount of shelf space in there - one 16 foot wide floor-to-ceiling shelved wall unit I had built a few years ago, and two 42" x 80" free-standing bookcases. I have lots of books. I also love statuary, specifically ethnic bronzes and wood carvings. Thus my dilemma. Which is most deserving of space?

The smaller bookcases contain most of my reference books with my mother's teacup collection on the top shelf of each and assorted statuary on the bookcase tops. On the opposite wall the large built-in also contains a mixture of book shelves and art shelves. I have many classic and treasured books there. I love each and every one even though I may not read them (or even take them off the shelf) for years. I need them. I also have quite a few newer books since I buy books I want in hardcover. Buying hardcover is to me like giving to the American Cancer Society or something - if I love to read an author then I should buy her/his books so they can continue to write them. It's my moral duty.

But I can't not buy a lovely bit of ethnic scultpture when I find it. Screw shoes and high-end clothing and designer handbags - I just want timeless art.

My dilemma this morning? I need to pack up another 5.3 ft shelf of books in order to properly display my art. Some books I love may go to the basement. It's so sad.

6 comments:

HistoryDetective said...

I completely understand this. I am too the point that I cannot even buy additional bookshelves because I simply do not have a place to put them.

I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain.

kim (weltek) said...

Don't you have another room the displaced books could go in?

As a side note, Real Simple had a great article on decorating with books this month. You should look at it.

Swami said...

Thanks, HD.

Kim, not really. I don't want bookcases lining the hallways. Besides, then where would I put the displaced wall art & photographs? Office = full. Family room = full. Kitchen = inappropriate. They can't go in the kids' rooms upstairs, and my bedroom is full of antique furniture.

What is Real Simple?

Schnookie said...

I think it's time you built an extension to the house.

I do understand your dilemma. My problem are knick-knacks. Our new house has a LOT less wall space for bookshelves or wall shelves. I'd like to pack up most of the knick-knacks but feel I have to display a lot of them because they were gifts from the boys. I suppose I can just pack them away. DH wouldn't notice I'm sure.

Good luck Swami.

Puffy said...

Real Simple is a magazine, however I've never seen it.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Bigger House.