Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Peel N Stick

I am considering using peel and stick floor tiles to create a new look in the backsplash area behind my stove. I think it's a brilliant idea. I found some lovely tiles at Loewe's that look perfect with my countertops and floors. Even Tom is on board. So even though it is probably nuts, I think I will do it.

And speaking of Tom, when he washed some clothes on Sunday, the dryer evidently stopped working. Did he tell me? No. He forgot. So Monday morning I did a huge load of bedsheets, opened the dryed and - oops. Full of wet towels. So now I have damp towels and still-wet sheets hanging around all over the house. Because when it is -5 degrees you do not fool around trying to rig up an outdoor clothesline.

And in an unrelated development, Tippy Toes is determined to share my cereal this morning. Normally he is the most laid back of cats, but today? In. my. face.

Happy Tuesday!

17 comments:

Bravie said...

Just make sure that the heat from the stove on the backsplash isn't going to cause the tiles to unglue. That's my helpful advice for the day.

Swami said...

My research says the tiles should be heat resistant. That was my worry too. Actually, HGTV's website was my only research site.

Anonymous said...

I think that sounds pretty neat. I saw someone do this on Trading Spaces one time. I also saw them use vinyl flooring as wallpaper. Very cool.

momma said...

Eep! No dryer? That's as bad as no washer. Combine the two and we might be able to do a load or three of laundry. *grin*

I hate it when my cat does that. Ugh. I love the peel and stick vinyl tiles. That's what I put down in Rotten2's closet after the great A/C debacle this summer.

~Nutz said...

Happy Tuesday!

What type of tiles are you using and what will they be stuck to? I ask because I have this vision of you trying to stick linoleum tiles to a wall on top of ceramic, which doesn't sound like it would last.

My old kitty, Harley, used to go nutz when we ate cereal. He was after the milk.

kim (weltek) said...

WTF is up with all these husbands screwing up laundry lately? *note to not hound Nolay about laundry this week*

I think your peel & stick idea sounds great, assuming you are adhering them to a flat surface. And if it doesn't last? Not much cash-ola lost.

Swami said...

The tiles will be adherred to drywall which has been painted at least 4 times, so it is very well sized.

We will get new lower cabinets in a few years and I don't want to spend on getting glass or ceramic tile put in that I just will tear out in 3 to 5 years.

Nutz, I rarely eat cold cereal and I never give the cats milk. Maybe some other cat told Tippy he is entitled to milk. I dunno. I thought you weren't supposed to give cats milk, and when our parents did that it was because they just didn't know any better.

mtw said...

Whoa! Great idea about the peel and stick tile backsplash. I've put off doing the backsplash because I'm not too confident about tile work, but the peel and stick option may be worth looking into.

Anonymous said...

My kitty was acting strange too... so whiny, which isn't like him. I wonder if our kitties know something we don't?

Bravie said...

Just make sure you put down a primer paint before you put the tile up. that should ensure adhesion.
We have our lower kitchen cabinets lined with vinyl. We also use one of our closets as a kitty bathroom and we have put vinyl down in that closet too.

Monstah said...

Have fun with your tile project...just keep Tipey Toe away from the peel n sticks, that is my only advice.

I have this fear that I am going to go into hard labor right in between a wash. It has become an irrational focus, really. Can you imagine how unsatisfying that would be?

Glowie said...

Shawn is not allowed to touch laundry. Between you and Momma I now remember why.

Swami said...

FTR, I am not blaming Tom for the dryer's demise. It's just that he forgot to report it to me, thus I did a full load of my own without knowing that the dryer was broken and full of wet towels.

Mr. Swami has always done all his own laundry, from our first days together. I offered to do it early in our marriage but he just looked at me as though I were nuts and told me he does his own. I was smart enough to not argue.

Schnookie said...

What a great idea. Show us pics of the results.

I've decided to wallpaper the lower portion of the walls in my kitchen. That should be fun LOL.

Ack! How the heck did you manage to hang the sheets in the house?

My Sammy loves milk so I give him a couple of drops of my half 'n half once in a while. I do know that milk isn't good for cats but I don't think I give him enough to matter. I once gave him some Lactaid milk and that made him sick.

mm said...

Let us know how it turns out if you do it. Sounds neat!

Swami said...

Nookie, I wallpapered the lower portion of wall in my son's bedroom. It was MUCH easier than doing the full length of a wall. The short paper length was so easy to handle in comparison.

How I dried the sheets: I made a jury-rigged drying rack by laying my longest broom and mop between the kitchen table and the counter top, then layed the sheets over it like I was building a fort. I had to fold them in rough quarters so they wouldn't touch the ground, and turn & refold them as they dried. It took a day and a half, lol.

Dryer has a part on order. It better come soon!!!!!

Schnookie said...

LOL. I'm surprised your kitty didn't tear down the fort.