Monday, January 22, 2007

A Driveby

I spent most of this weekend driving around. Not accomplishing much, just putting on mileage I guess. Tom and I shopped & puttered. Max and I puttered and saw a movie. Anyway, I drove through town after dark twice and I was impressed as always by how many people around here don't cover their windows at night. More than half, certainly. So as you drive by the lighted houses you can look into their front rooms and see their furniture & decorations & maybe what they're watching on TV.

Is this normal? Or is it because of all the socially uninhibited Scandinavian types around here? So I have a few questions.

Do you have drapes, blinds or both?

Do you always close them when it gets dark?

When people don't cover their lighted windows, do you always look?

Would you go for a walk just to look?

Have you ever seen anything "naughty" through someones window(s)?

12 comments:

Zombs said...

Oh I have drapes but they are always open. I never close them. You can see right into our living room. However we never use the living room. We don't have a tv in there either. We are in the family room.

It does creep me out when I have to get up in the middle of the night and make the baby a bottle though. But I figure the dogs will bark if someone is looking in.

We have dogs and I love to walk them at night so I can look into other people's houses.

When I was growing up we had a neighbor...old man...who used to wakl his cat on a leash and look into everyone's windows.

HistoryDetective said...

I have drapes, not blinds.

I rarely close them when it gets dark. Sometimes I close them in the daylight just to reduce the glare from the sun. Even though it takes ten seconds to open and close them, I am just too lazy.

Yes, I look into lighted windows. I find it fascinating to see how people have decorated their homes or how they might be spending their time.

Yes, I have gone for a walk just to look. I live at the edge of a very affluent neighborhood. For me, it is more about daydreaming than it is about trying to see anything in particular.

I do not remember seeing anything "naughty" in somebody else's window, but I am pretty certain that others have seen stuff in my window. One night at the bar a guy came up to me and said that he walks the dog by my apartment three or four times in the morning because he likes watching me get dressed. Being on the second floor, I didn't think that anybody could actually see annything from street level.

Swami said...

We have neither drapes nor blinds in our living room, so that is always open. Tom is very particular about closing stuff when it gets dark. He also won't change in our bedroom or bathrooms during the day without closing the blinds up tight. Even though our bedroom faces the backyard. I always laugh at him for this.

When I get up in the morning the first thing I do is open the blind on my side so I can look out at my little creek. I figure if someone wants to hide in my yard to look at a naked old woman then that's their problem I plan to enjoy my view!

*oogles the young hottie HD*

Jen said...

I have mini blinds in my bedroom, and they are almost always closed. I open them on the weekends sometimes, but I'm usually only in my bedroom to sleep (and I don't want the sun in my eyes) or to change clothes, so I keep them closed.
In my living room, I have matchstick blinds. People can probably see through them, but since I live on the 5th floor, I don't worry about it too much. The people in the building across from me can probably see in, but all they would see is me watching tv and talking to myself. :)

My friend Tracy and I went up to my family's lake house one summer. We were the only ones up there at the time. Earlier in the day, my male neighbor was out mowing his lawn and said hello to us. That night we were sitting in the living room watching a movie when all of a sudden Tracy says "I think your neighbor is watching porn!" I muted the tv, and sure enough, you could hear the moans and groans floating out of the windows. He must've had it pretty loud. So we were looking out the window giggling at him when we saw him walk by the window completely naked. It was really funny, but also kind of creepy because we felt like he was putting on a show for us. He knew we were the only ones up there! I can't look at him anymore. LOL.

mtw said...

We have blinds and rarely close the living room ones, but don't go in there often.

One thing I just recently discovered is that people can see into my upstairs loft through the half-circle window above our entryway that doesn't have a covering. I didn't realize this and people could surely have seen me naked if the timing was right!

Not many people walk past the front of our house, so I don't worry about it much.

Swami said...

Jen - ick. That would have creeped me out too.

Anonymous said...

Do you have drapes, blinds or both?

We have blinds in every room except the kitchen. In there we have curtains that do not cover the entire window. We also do not have anything on our French doors. So the kitchen and living room are "open" for anyone to see inside, especially at night. I don't like curtains/drapes. I don't like the maintenance factor, although I will likely be getting Roman shades for the French doors.

Do you always close them when it gets dark?

I open the living room window blinds in the morning and close them at night. Sometimes I will leave them open.

When people don't cover their lighted windows, do you always look?

Always.

Would you go for a walk just to look?

Yes. I love to look at colors, etc.

Have you ever seen anything "naughty" through someones window(s)?

Nothing worth reporting.

kim (weltek) said...

Peeeping Swami!!!

I've never witnessed something naughty in a windown, but I wish I would. How exciting that would be!

When we lived in town, we'd keep the blinds shut during work days and in the evenings.

Now? We don't even had many blinds or shades. Nobody is in peeking distance without binoculars.

lights said...

Do you have drapes, blinds or both?

We have blinds at home and the cottage.

Do you always close them when it gets dark?

Usually. Depends if I'm nekkid or not. *grin* When we first moved to the boonies I had to close the blinds at night because it was so dark outside that I couldn't tell if there was someone lurking outside. Once Dave installed a yard light I was okay with leaving the blinds open. We live on a highway so there's lots of traffic but they're usually moving pretty quickly.

When people don't cover their lighted windows, do you always look?

Absolutely. I love looking in windows as we're driving or walking to see how other homes are decorated.

Would you go for a walk just to look?

I'd have to go for a very long walk to make this worthwhile around here.

Have you ever seen anything "naughty" through someones window(s)?

Not that I can remember.

We're more likely to have animals looking in our windows than people.

Schnookie said...

We have faux-plantation blinds in all the windows. I'm hoping to eventually get some drapes/window dressings for all the windows. It could take a while, seeing as I only had drapes in two rooms at the old house after living there for 7 years LOL.

I ALWAYS close the blinds when it gets dark. I don't want crazy peeps out for a walk peeking into my home and seeing that I'm a terrible decorator. :-)

I ALWAYS look into other peeps houses if their drapes are open. I love it. I used to go for a walk after dinner when I was in Montreal for just that reason. I like to see how other peeps decorate.

I've never seen anything naughty.

Anonymous said...

I used to live across the street from a guy who had a big screen TV, would leave the blinds open, and watched porn all night.

haha

Swami said...

Hi Christie, welcome to my blog. Do I know you from some other place?