Wednesday, July 05, 2006

While I Was Gone

Tom started a folder for me called "While You Were Out" which he always does. I think it is so sweet because he logs everything that happened, including any POA notices received, prints of emails he thinks are important, stuff like that. Even thought I know I does it (in part) so I won't cross-examine him so intently when I do get back - still, it's very sweet.

Some of the highlights this year:
--Hit unknown object in river, punch a hole in boat
--Make it to shore minutes before boat sinks, haul bow up into weeds, watch rest of boat go under
--Walk home
--Hire tow truck guy to drive as close to rough shore as he can and stretch 2 huge cables down to haul boat out of water, let it drain, then drag it up onto trailer.
(We both have wanted a new boat for the past couple of years. I told him he should have just let it sink and then swim ashore, but in the moment of crisis he didn't think of that.)
--DD was asked to clean house gutters. She did this without a ladder by climbing up the lowest part of the porch roof, walking and climbing to the second story level, then bending over at the edge of the roof and scooping stuff out by hand! I would have killed her had I been home! She was supposed to haul out the big extension ladder, where she would have been safely perched--but no! Miss Lazy-bones just stands on the edge of the roof and bends over. Why are the young so foolish?
--The cat died, our 20 y.o. dowager cat. I thought she might because she seemed to be failing badly as I left. Still, I regret not being there to bury her. This is the last photo of her, taken during what turned out to be her last bath in late June.

Apart from the above, everything went swimmingly while I was out. Pun intended.

7 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Welcome Back!

While You Were Out on blogland:

Everyone agreed to send me $100 to invest. I haven't received yours, but you've been busy.

Everyone wanted to elect me blog president, but I said a parade in my honor was really enough.

See all the important stuff you missed?

Puffy said...

Aw, you caught the pun before I got a chance to mention it. I'm sorry about your cat. You expected it, but I'm sure you'll still miss her a lot. Luckily, you won't miss the old boat and you'll get a shiny new one.

Bravie said...

*sobs* for the kitty. RIP.

What kind of boat?

Schnookie said...

So sorry about your kitty Swami *HUGS*

I do think it's very cute that your DH puts together a folder for when you are away.

Kids? Pfffffffft! We just received an email this morning from the ex telling us about my 19 yr old step-sons latest antics. He's lucky he's not living with me.

mm said...

Aww, I'm, sorry about your cat. :(
How long did you own her?


(And don't stress about Weltek's money, if it makes things easier for you, just forward it to me, and I'll get it to her)

Seana said...

RIP Dowager Cat She looks like a good snuggler, with all the fluffy soft fur.

Too bad you'll have to get a new boat. How awful for you.

Swami said...

Kim, MM volunteered to send you the $100 on my behalf. Isn't she a generous friend?

See, when I say "boat" I am probably over-stating things. It's a pontoon boat, which some people don't even consider a boat at all. But this part of the river has many sandbars, so a deep-keeled boat just runs aground all the time.

I always thought pontoon boats were unsinkable because the pontoons had chambers and stuff. Well, they're not. Ours sinks.

No new boat, Seana. Instead we will just get the holed pontoon fully drained and then welded. Which sucks. I wish Tom had let the boat sink. We don't have replacement insurance, but we would have got the book value of our current boat, which would have been a nice jumpstart on a new one.