Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Am I Nuts? And a shopping list.

In the House of Swami, all fruits and vegetables are washed with soap and water before they are eaten. Exceptions: Strawberries get briefly soaked and then swished thru vinegar; iceberg lettuce & cabbage lose the outer most 2-3 layers of leaves; romaine lettuce loses outer leaves & gets exposed leaf tips cut off; loose leaf stuff like fresh spinach is a problem--hard to rinse the soap off so for those only I cross my fingers and do the cold water swish. Everything else gets a nice bubbly bath.

I have been told this is excessive and most people just rinse produce under cold running water for a few minutes. Is that true? What do you do? Do you eat that 'ready to eat' salad mixture straight from the bag? Do you know where it's been?

Also I thought I would put up the list of misc things I am going into town for shortly:
-table-top ironing board (I threw away my big one years ago)
-mesh trash cans, black, 2
-3-piece non-stick cooking set with lid, on sale for 14.99. Mostly I want the glass lid which costs almost that much by itself!
-spiral mesh hamper for the DD
-heavy weight hangers
-sea grass office cubes, 2 to 4
-sea grass wall-covering for some storage boxes to help them 'blend in' lol
-Krylon spray paint for plastic, black
-81 grain aspirin
-panti liners
-cauliflower
-dip
-dietrite
-sesame oil
-frozen pizza (for kids, not me--blecch!)

Now that gas is $3.00+ per gallon I thought I would economise a little and go to multiple stores in the same trip.

18 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Wow, I am in awe of your produce washing. I just rinse in cold water. I tear the outermost leaves off of lettuce, too.

Zombs said...

I do just the water. Oh and I never thought to wash the salad in a bag.

I am a dirty girl I guess!

Scallions should be washed very carefully though. Radishes I soak also.

You are just hitting the $3.00/per gallon? Welcome to the club. I am paying $3.33 for regular.

I don't care for frozen pizza so I say. But if there are a few left over after the kids eat then I think it is a gourmet meal for some reason. Same thing with chicken nuggets.

Swami said...

Kim, the pesticide makers spend billions of dollars to develope products that do not wash off when it rains, because this is the most cost-effective way to spray. If you don't use soap them you are eating pesticides every time--unless you buy 100% organic grown produce, and I don't really trust that either. So I wash.

Swami said...

Zombs, I'm a dirty girl too. It's my default mindset.

Surveysez said...

I'm not gonna tell. We have to keep some mystery!

Puffy said...

I think there's a product that you can wash produce with that is made just for that purpose. I don't know what it's called though.

*lightbulb* I have an idea. Can you use the panti liners to scrub the pesticides off of the produce?

Puffy said...

http://www.veggie-wash.com/

http://products.peapod.com/23026.html

I googled "produce cleaner" and came up with a couple of links.

Bravie said...

I eat my veggies fresh out of the ground. Dirt and all. I also drink my milk straight from the cow. It lives on my patio.

But my GF washes them. No soap. Just lots of water. And yes, she washes the bagged ready made salad stuff too.

Jen said...

I just rinse under cold water. And it never even occurred to me to wash the bagged salad, which is what I just had for lunch. Now I'm all skeeved out. Thanks, Swami!

*wishes I had a frozen pizza*

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and I may become an organic fruit girl. The stuff I've been getting lately has been gross...kind of pesticiey tasting.

Jen said...

I thought you'd like to know that I am now eating an apple that I didn't even rinse. Well, I took a paper towel with some water on it and rubbed it down, so I guess I kind of rinsed it. Heh.

Swami said...

Ya'll are nuts and you're going to die young! Everybody should wash their vegetables.

Puffy, I think that produce-wash stuff is basically watered down vinegar sold at a really high price.

Zombs said...

douche your veggies!

Aislinn Sirk said...

Zombie just grossed me out so much I can't post.

Swami said...

Zombie, which vegetable should I douche with? Citris is kind of squirty.

*squirts Bob*

Bravie said...

When are you going to make this a permanent blog?

Swami said...

I'm commitment-adverse I guess.
Besides, what is permanance?
I think I need more coffee

Schnookie said...

I also use soap to wash any fruits/veggies. I also discard the outer layers of lettuce and cut off the tips of the romaine. I also wash the bagged lettuce, not with soap though.

That's an interesting shopping list there Swami. What project are you up to now? And, LMAO at seeing panty liners in that list.

Gas just went down here. It's $2.92/gallon.