Friday, March 24, 2006

Random Friday Questions

Do you eat popcorn like Swami - one plump kernal at a time, or like Mr. Swami grab a huge handful, tilt your head back and stuff?

Do you always get popcorn at the movies? Do you get that weird, butter by-product sauce spritzed on top?

Does your microwave have a "Popcorn" setting? Does it work?

Do you buy pre-popped flavored popcorn? What kind or brand?

What ever happened to futurist Faith Popcorn? Did she die or what?

18 comments:

momma said...

I'm first! Yay!

I eat popcorn one piece at a time, occasionally two pieces.

My microwave has a popcorn setting. It works well. Actually, it has like three popcorn settings for various bag sizes.

I don't much do flavored microwave popcorn and rarely buy that fake butter popcorn stuff at the movies. Okay, so I'd actually have to GO to the movies to buy it, but still.

Bravie said...

I pop an entire handful in at a time. Mmmmmm.

Always. And I always ask for extra chemicals on it too.

Yes, mine does have a popcorn setting. It doesn't work, IMO. But for the most part I don't microwave my popcorn.

No, never. That stuff is dry and icky.

Who?

I buy whatever brand is on sale. I used to buy the Oroville Redenbacker popcorn oil but now I just use Heart Smart oil to pop my popcorn. I prefer this type of popcorn over the microwave stuff.

Zombs said...

I am not a big popcorn fan. However if I do have it I like the Kettle corn. I love sweet and salty. I also have to put either M&M's in it or chocolate chips. I need chocolate with my popcorn.

Does anyone use those Jiffy Pop pans anymore?

~Nutz said...

Oh no! I don't like popcorn at all! ...and I so wanted to be one of the kewl kids. *pout*

I hate eating it because of the kernel skins that get stuck in my teeth. I used to eat it, but not anymore. Now, just the smell of the movie theatre stuff makes me kvetch. Is that bad?

My microwave does not have a popcorn setting.

Monstah said...

Hi! I eat it one a time. Giada has a great recipe for rosemary popcorn. If you want, I can dig it up on her arhcives and post a link!

Plus, the roseamry might just be fancy enough to convince Mr Swami to put down the feeding bag and be a bit more delicate.

Swami said...

Who's Giada?

Well, I love rosemary new potatoes. Why not rosemary popcorn?

kim (weltek) said...

Happy Friday, Swami!

There is definitely a man/woman/lesbian popcorn eating-style divide. My boss (female) bucks that trend crosses over into the shovel mode. Wonder if I could get a grant to study this.

I don't always get popcorn at the movies. Just when in the mood. I love the butter.

Our popcorn setting does pretty well. It's about 20 seconds off, though.

I like pre-popped cheddar popcorn, but never buy it. White cheddar is the BEST.

Who?

lights said...

Probably somewhere in the middle, but closer to Mr. Swami's side.

We went last Friday and I didn't get popcorn because Matt couldn't have any. For some reason every time he gets popcorn at the movies he ends up with a headache. Normally I do though and it is always swimming in butter.

Yes, and as sceptical as I was about the popcorn setting, it does seem to work on the microwaves at the cottage and at home.

I normally only buy microwave popcorn. Once in a while I'll buy a bag of cheese corn but that's it. Dave likes carmel corn but I don't so I never buy it. *grin*

Huh?

Swami, Giada is Monsty's girlfriend. *giggle*

mm said...

I *heart* popcorn too! I buy the mini bags. Smart Choice, I think. Someone on OT told me once to try the cheddar pour over (which I thought sounded disgusting) and it was the best thing I've ever tried. I think they discontinued it. :( I always burn mine at home, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Once, I burnt it so bad I had to wake the kids up and make them go outside because the smoke was so strong and it was orange smoke!

Mmmm...now I want some popcorn...

Jen said...

I very rarely eat popcorn, but when I do, I take about 4-5 pieces at a time, I guess.

I don't think I've ever eaten popcorn at the movies. If I did, I would probably get butter by-product on it.

My microwave does have a popcorn setting, but I have to stop it about 10 seconds before it dings or else it burns.

I like the kettle corn, don't know what brand.

Who? Maybe she's in the future.

Swami said...

My answers:

I never buy popcorn at the movies, and I detest the fake buttery stuff.

The popcorn setting on my microwave works miraculously--it must have some kind of sensor thingy built it because it pops different brands for different ammounts of time. Mr. Swami loves it.

My son like the cheddar cheese bagged corn, but I don't. I love Earl's Triple Treat bagged popcorn, but it's a Minnesota product so maybe you guys can't get it. It is regular popcorn, cheese popcorn and carmel corn mixed together--something I detest in every brand buy Earl's! I eat the white and cheddar first, indiscriminantly, then have the carmel for dessert! It is really tasty!

I do not like kettle corn.

In the early 90s Faith Popcorn was the go-to futurist when a TV news show needed a cute filler. She predicted future trends. I think she wrote a book too. I would google her but I can't be bothered. I just loved her name!

Bravie said...

Mmmmmmmm, kettle corn.

Monstah said...

Ok then! Give me a bit o'time to get the link. I think All Stah may be waking up from his morning nap.

Monstah said...

Found it! Giada is my imaginary girlfriend, Swami. I think I had a blog entry about her a while back. Here it is! Make it and let me know what you think.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25942,00.html

Monstah said...

Ack! Hold on.

Swami said...

Hold onto what? Or who?

yvonne said...

I rarely eat popcorn (I also hate the kernel-stuck-in-teeth thing) but when I do it's usually about two pieces at a time. Never would I shove a fist full in my mouth. *looks at carey*

I do not eat popcorn in a theatre. Ever. It's noisy and messy. I do not sit near popcorn eaters either. Too noisy and distracting.

If I buy popcorn, and it's rare, I'll get the Jiffy Pop White popcorn. Never flavored, never buttered up. I love white popcorn.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I have no popcorn maker anymore.

Sigh.

What I want to do is buy that Jiff pop and go camping and then burn the popcorn over the campfire. Can anyone play the guitar?