Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Maybe One Will Fall On His Head.

My DD's boyfriend is pretty much hopeless. He graduated from high school in 2002 and since that time he has not had a job. He "hangs out" at his home (and increasingly--here) doing slightly helpful house projects sometimes. In theory, he is looking for a job. This means that about every 2 weeks he stumbles onto a sign in a window somewhere and "applies." Mostly, he plays video games. He went to 1 semester of community college but dropped out because he was annoyed that an advisor gave him "bad advice" and so he wasted money paying for a course that was not useful for his career goal of becoming a hospital radiation tech.

He does not present himself well in terms of personal grooming. He has a mullet with the long part of his hair being mid-back. He has a full, curly beard--not too long, and without a moustache. I know he has the beard to cover his double chins and he does look better with the beard than without (he has shaved it twice for interviews) but the combination of beard and mullet just marks him as Not A Contender. I fear he will never find a job and that once she graduates from college next year my DD will wind up supporting him. She luvs him, you see.

So what kind of job can a kid like this succeed at? Considering that he has No Clue and No Innitiative. In high school, he worked at a convenience store part time for one year. Nothing since then. Well, he did work a cash register at Target for a couple of months, but then they moved him into retreiving carts from the parking lot, so he quit.

He's a nice enough kid. Not a brilliant under-achiever, just average smarts.

22 comments:

Monstah said...

Uh? you have a blog? *whack*

I say gently guide him into a retail video game enviroment. Maybe if he finds a place where he "fits in" he may succeed.


*whack again*

Monstah said...

PS Don't worry, I will not link you. I think you may like the quiet.

momma said...

Hm. Sounds like he's not exactly prime candidate for the White House or anything. Wait. Maybe he is.

momma said...

Uh oh. I have you linked. Should it stay or should it go?

yvonne said...

If your DD does end up supporting him, she'll probably tire of it fairly quickly, especially if she is around well kempt, driven young men who actually have jobs.

If that fails, I bet he could get a job at a backwoods Wisconsin convenience store.

Swami said...

Lol at Momma and Augie.

*Whack* for Monsty.

At this time I do not have an official position on being linked. Whichever is fine. Besides, I've been gone from over there for a really long time now, and there are 484,375,229 blogs. What does it matter any more?

Bravie said...

Did you count each and every blog all on your own?
oooooh, wait, he could be a blog counter. *grin*

Monstah said...

OK. How do you all know about Swami's blog? Are monstahs really that clueless?

I thought someone (let's just say Nookie for now...it was either her or someone like her...Augie maybe) anyhoo, someone told me you do not have a blog set up but you like to post on other blogs. Now that I think about it, maybe that sounds like Carey reasoning.

~Nutz said...

Man! I gotta refresh my page more often! Every time I came here, all I saw was your kitty pics. I just refreshed my page and BAM! I found out you had three other posts! *giggle*

Yes! Monsty said just what I was going to say! He needs to work at a video game store! ... or see if there is some job where he can test video games.

*snort* @ Augie! ...and Carey!

BWPs & blog counters! LOL!

momma said...

Monsty, Swami originally said she wouldn't have a blog and would just post on others blogs. Then she promised us the How We Met story (see Bob's blog for reference). Then she got sucked into blog world. And here she is.

And? If you click on her name, her profile shows up and shows her blog name.

Puffy said...

"Swami's Temporary Blog" is turning into "Swami's Prolific Blog."

Send mullet boy on a Forrest Gump run around the country.

Zombs said...

How about a Bigfoot researcher?

kim (weltek) said...

What a tough situation. I hope your daughter doesn't get sucked into staying with this guy because he's probably not going to change that much over the years.

I agree with monsty...get him into the video game industry...either in retail or go back to school for something related. Not that it's your job to do that, though.

mtw said...

Why does it seem to me that more and more young women are falling for deadbeat guys they end up having to support. Maybe I'm just ultra-sensitive since my daughters are coming of age, and I fear them falling for deadbeats (or worse).

When did guys start thinking it was okay to *be* a deadbeat and live off your girlfriend while you played video games all the time?

Zombs said...

Its all in the mullet.

Puffy said...

It's that "bad-boy" thing.

Swami said...

MTW, it seems that way to me too, and I have no idea. The one thing he does have is time. So he has had lots of time to know her. He humors her very well and is basically undemanding.

He's not a bad boy, Puffy. He's a milquetoast mullet boy with "Going Nowhere" tattooed on his forehead. He drives Tom wild because Tom has been going full speed ahead since he was about 14 years old, and Andy is just clueless.

He's a nice enough kid, but I fear for his future.

Swami said...

Kim & Monsty, he has applied for a job at a couple of video & game rental places. He doesn't have enough "drive" for them, lol.

And Nutz? His ideal job would be to be a meta tester (beta tester?) for new games. I am not sure that is a real job and if it is it has already been outsourced to China/India.

lights said...

Swami, I'm sure that if you told this story to my Mom 28 years ago she would have had the same complaints about Dusterboy. Not that they were unwarranted, but sometimes they do work out okay. Does that make you feel better or worse? *grin*

Although, Dusterboy never had a mullet. Or did he?

~Nutz said...

Sorry. That deleted comment was me.

Anyway...

Eeek! A tattoo on his forehead? OMG!

You know, if they've outsourced those jobs to China, maybe you can send him on a nice, long trip there to go job hunting! *grin*

Lasann said...

I've read this twice and was trying to decide what to say. My baby sister's 1st husband was like that. Video games and collecting comic books were his life. He had a paper route in the country which took him 2 hours or so on Sunday. He was in and out of college. He also took care of their daughter 95% of the time. My sister left him for her 2nd husband. She also left the daughter. He had family support so we all figured he'd coast all his life.

He is now 38. For the last 5 years he has being working for the FBI in some capacity. I don't know what he does but he had to have an security clearance where they contacted my sister and asked all kinds of questions.

He did grow up finally and has a good job.

Maybe this is a success story to let you know that usually we all grow up, some take longer than others.

Aislinn Sirk said...

You know, Monsty if you visited me more often you would notice Swami's blog. I referenced it a couple times.

My sister's boyfriend is a bit of a loser I guess (finished university, but has a tonne of debt and not much ambition, dropped out of grad school).

But he's nice, he's funny, she likes him, he cooks, he cleans, he loves our family.