Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pretty Kitty


Now that I have figured out how to post photos I have become a real photo ho! Anyway, these are my kitties.

This is Tippy Toes, who is a cat of very little brain but very big personality. For some reason, he doesn't mind wearing weird shit around his neck. So here he is wearing a lei. Isn't he a cutey? He is one of those cats that will talk to you. If you make eye contact and say something to him, he will say something back. He comes when he is called. He is totally useless as a mouser because mice scare him. Spiders scare him. He will tackle a small moth but mostly he is not competent to kill them either.

Tippy was found as kitten, wandering in the woods on the day after Halloween all covered with sticky dirt. I think he may have been a "party cat," one of those unlucky black cats that is picked up to use as a Halloween party prop--then dumped. Anyway, the neice who found him gave him a bath and passed him on to my DD. I think he is living happily ever after.

He is called tippy Toes because he is all black except for the toes on his right front foot which are snow white. (I think the white toes are sunk into the couch here.)


This is our older cat, Sugi (SOO-jee.) She will be 20 years old this fall *boggle*. This is the cat who can speak dog. She was also one of the all time great hunting cats. She could walk into our yard and kill a red squirrel in about 10 minutes. (Our property is infested with squirrels, and red squirrels are so destructive!) For those of you who don't know--red squirrels are incredibly tough. In a cat/squirel fight they often win--but not with Sugi! There was not a field mouse on our property anywhere! And? She is the smartest cat I have ever had.

Sugi has been blind for the past almost 2 years, but has adjusted very well. She hates the vet and we have decided to see if she can die peacefully in her own bed, rather than be put down. She is getting really skinny and has an open cancer sore on her back. Every once in a while she has a seizure. But she gets around, eats pretty well, finds her litter box and responds when you talk to her.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful cats, Swami! I love their names. Tippy Toes makes me laugh. :)

Sorry about Sugi. It sounds like she has had a great and full life though!

*smooch*

mm said...

They are both so pretty! I love big, long-haired cats. (did you do the pronouciation of Sugi's name for me? *squinty eyes*

20 years is a long time. Wow. I hope mine last that long. We also have one that likes to talk to you, and he'll sit and stare at us until we make eye contact, then he'll start yelling/meowing. It's cute, but does get old. LOL.

Thanks for sharing!

momma said...

Beautiful cats. Tippy Toes is the cutest name.

Sorry to hear about Sugi's illness. I agree, seeing if she will go peacefully is best.

lights said...

Tom, if you're reading this, I had no idea Swami was going to be posting pictures of her pussy when I showed her how to do pictures.

*giggle*

Nice pussy(s) though.

Gotta ask...was the pronouciation guide for MM's benefit? *grin*

Swami said...

The pronunciation guide is because it's a weird name. Sugi is named after my favorite gem-grade mineral, sugilite. Sugilite is a beautiful, deep purple--I love it!

Folklore says that sugilite is a balancer of mind, body and spirit and encourages peace of mind, a general feeling of well being and spiritual love. It also protects against and dissipates anger and other negative energies.

For Bob:
K Na2 Li3(Fe, Mn, Al)2 Si12 O30
Potassium Sodium Lithium Iron Manganese Aluminum Silicate.

(I don't know how to make subscript numbers. Sorry.)

kim (weltek) said...

Awww, I just want to snuggle both of them. Especially Sugi who needs some extra love. 20 years is an amazing cat life. They are both lucky to have you as kitty parents.

yvonne said...

Your kitties are beautiful, Swami. Lucky cats to have found their way to you.

Bravie said...

Awwwww, love the pictures of the babies. I love kitties. (stayed away from the obvious pussy jokes)

~Nutz said...

Awww! Such pretty kitties! I love fluffy kitties!

Puffy said...

Your cats look like my now-deceased-but-forever-loved Puff.