Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunday, at The Olive Garden

As you may remember on Sundays I usually take my son out to lunch at some reasonably priced family restaurant. The Olive Garden & Applebees are 2 of his favorites. (We can't go anyplace witha buffet - even a salad bar like Ruby Tuesday - because he is too unpredictable around so many open food dishes.) (This is my son with autism.)

I like Olive Garden food, and lunch with Max is often entertaining on a variety of levels. We had a new waitress this time - one who had never met Max.

The hostess seated us. Max reads very fast and talks even faster. So within 15-20 seconds of being seated Max has skimmed the menu, told me which 5 things he wants to order, I have countered with the 3 things I am willing to order for him, and we have agreed that dessert is a "maybe". Dessert is always a "maybe" in case I need a behavioral bribe reinforcer at some point.

So while the approaching waitress is still 2 steps from our table Max looks up, makes eye-contact and says
"hellowaitressIwantonetwoandthreethankyouverymuchgoodbye."
Then smiles & waits. The waitress of course has never experienced someone talking to her without any inflection whatsoever & at total hyperspeed. She is also trying to take it all in while just looking at Max who is 6'2", wearing chainsaw ear-covers (because he has hypersensitive hearing), and is now smiling expectantly like the Chesshire Cat.

I wait a beat, then I also say hello, tell her we are ready to order right away, repeat Max's order and add my own. She's an okay waitress - she gets over her first WTH moment, pulls it all together and is appropriately kind & courteous to Max at all times. Lunch is uneventful. We get a few curious looks, mostly because of the ear covers.

Meanwhile the family at a table close by are behaving completely weird! Mom and dad are totally involved with another couple at their table. Their son (I presume) a boy about 6 y.o. is having his own private Talk Like A Pirate Day. Lots of ARGHH!s and Matey talk. He wields his knife like sword but is pretty much ignored. His 4 y.o. sister, an adorable little blonde, only meows. She meows through the whole meal. If someone says something to her she meows in reply. She also meows after every few bites of food. Meow, meow, meow. No words.

And yet? My table is the weird table. Which I agree with in general--but it just seems funny to me.

Max ignores them. He doesn't care about meowing or pirates - just his lunch. He was very well-behaved and got cheesecake for dessert.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Do you watch Parenthood? Interestingly enough, there is a boy on that show named Max, and he has Aspergers (at least I think it's Aspergers), so reading this made me think of that. Especially the reward since they were just using this this past week.

I love Olive Garden. OMG, I love it. Now I am feeling the need to go there. My favorite thing to get is the breadsticks with the alfredo sauce for dipping.

And I love the salad. OMG, I love it.

Anonymous said...

Another thing this reminds me of is Conner. Lately we have been going out with or have been around lots of other kids for various reasons - dinners, movies, etc. I have always thought Conner was not the best-behaved child because he just not completely patient. In any event, lately, I feel like he is the aboslute best behaved child I know. Other kids seem so darn wild to me. Wild and weird.

Swami said...

My Max has classic autism and is not so high functioning as those with Asperger's. I have never watched parenthood, altho I kind of meant to try it. Didn't know one of the kids was supposed to have autism.

I LOVE Olive Garden's house salad! It is so simple & so fresh - we eat the whole bowl every time. Max gets marinara sauce for dipping because he is all about the red. We have to pre-negotiate that mom gets one breadstick which Max usually pulls out and hands to me before the waiter/waitress has actually set the basket down.

I love their Chicken Gnocchi soup. And everything else on the menu.

FYI I have always pictured Conner as the perfect child. Almost as perfect as my grandson, who is a little Buddha.

Puffy said...

I was thinking the same thing as Boo, about Max on "Parenthood." I like the Olive Garden, too. We went to a fantastic Italian restaurant in Buenos Aires. Yum yum.

kim (weltek) said...

LOL-I agree, how is it YOU were the weird table?

I kind of miss going out for the soup/salad/breadsticks lunch. Chris and I did that a lot in Racine.

kim (weltek) said...

LOL-I agree, how is it YOU were the weird table?

I kind of miss going out for the soup/salad/breadsticks lunch. Chris and I did that a lot in Racine.

yvonne said...

I would totally behave for a piece of cheesecake!

Meow!