Friday, April 30, 2010

Dogs v. Birds

There must be a card for this. My sister had to put down her beloved little dog on Thursday because of old age and 3x recurring cancer (the dog's - not her's.) Sister lives and breathes for the love of her 2 dogs and probably has a couple of ex-husband she would have put down more cheerfully. I will visit Hallmark Store soon and get her a card of some kind.

I had to put down my last 2 dogs (for old age associated failures) (mobility, bladder, sight, etc.) & it is so freaking hard! Maybe that is why I have birds now. When a birdie passes it's sad, but then 10 minutes later life goes right on. Well, for me - not the birdie. Then I get a new birdie.

3 comments:

Puffy said...

So sad. After my pets have died, I immediately wrote down thoughts about them so I wouldn't forget the happy and fun times. Hmmm, where did those notes go? I'll discover them some day and get a kick out of them.

kim (weltek) said...

:-( I agree, the smaller the pet, the easier it must be. I even think putting down a big lab would be harder than a cat, and I REALLY love our cats. Dogs are just such bigger presences in the house. Not to mention take more of your time and energy.

I've never had to put a pet down, and am not looking forward to it.

yvonne said...

Please give your sister a hug from me next time you see her. So sad.

It's so terribly hard to do.

Kim, as someone who has had to put down 3 cats, I can assure you the size of the pet doesn't determine the size of the heartbreak. I can't imagine being more sad at the end of a Lab's life then how I felt when I had to put down my 8 pound Sam.