Mr Swami took a week off and we practised being retired. You know - sleep late, have lunch out, watch tv - all the usual stuff retirees do.
The best part of being retired? Will be not cooking so much anymore. Mr Swami is not a huge fan of eating out but he never saw a takeout menu that he couldn't fall in love with. And since you can usually get 2 meals off one restaurant meal these days, eating out is not that horribly expensive!
On Saturday we celebrated my middle D's 26th birthday by taking her, her BF, our DS and my sister out to a restaurant of her choosing - which turned out to be Champps in Woodbury. Not my favorite place, but one she is very fond of. For her present I had ordered the Blu-Ray of Avatar from Amazon, completely forgetting that it would not arrive until after her birthday because stuff doesn't ship instantly. Duh. So for gifts we bought a bunch of random stuff she likes & wrapped them up pretty - a box of Triscuits, a bag of licorice, a bottle of Tums. Only I taped a $20 bill to each bottle or package. I don't think that people watching her open the gifts could see the taped-on extra so we got a lot of queer looks. People obviously thought we were nuts and giving her crap gifts.
Other things we did while temporarily retired:
1. washed the 2nd story windows, inside & out (mr Swami on a ladder)
2. mowed the lawn (earliest mow ever!)
3. Weed whacked rocks. Broke Weed Whacker. Took Weed Whacker into Hardware store where they put a new, heavy duty cord dispenser thing in. Weed whacked more rocks.
4. built a mountain of brush to burn when the burning ban is lifted.
5. envisioned a new deck to replace small deck off the screen porch. It should mirror the big deck on the other side of the house very nicely.
6. bought 10 8ft treated cedar posts to continue our fence restoration project begun last summer.
7. laid out a few soaker hoses.
8. made a nice dent in our back-log of DVRed shows.
9. grilled some really big steaks on our new grill!
It was a good week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sounds like it was a wonderful week.
Sounds like my kind of week. Good for you!
That sounds fantastic!
I often think about taking a few weeks off from cooking, but I end up missing it.
Sounds like you actually did a fair amount of work.
I want to practice, too. I think I may spend more money when retired, just because of having extra time on my hands.
Sounds like a fantastic week. I'd like to practice too, but like Puffy I know I'd spend more money than I do now. Guess I need to start saving more. :-)
Post a Comment