Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Good News / Bad News

Good News:
1. The 14 x 20 back deck is all stained.
2. The color is perfect, just perfect. I put a teak stain over cedar boards so the deck would be the same color as the wood panelling in the family room. Good match.
3. I did not fall down the steps backwards, even though I tried to. Who knew the stupid steps would sneak up on me like that?

Bad News:
1. The swivel-head applicator pad & handle thing we bought at Menards totally sucks. It was uncontrollable swivelly when you wanted it to just glide, but when you wanted it to swivel so you could dip the pad into the stain tray it just wouldn't do it. Plus the head unscrewed itself at randon intervals and fell the eff off.
2. I may need traction.
3. I think Mr Swami should just cut the stupid applicator into pieces with the Saws-All and then burn the pieces.

Now I will finish my book, Dean Koontz's latest.

5 comments:

yvonne said...

Can you come over and stain my deck? Please? I'll pay for any medical care.

I love Dean Koontz! I picked up his latest the last time I was in Target, but put it back instead of adding it to my cart. I have way too many books to read and couldn't justify buying another book.

Random useless fact - Dean Koontz is from Everett, PA. My mom is from Everett, PA. They graduated from the same high school, but in different years. Cool, huh?

Puffy said...

Very cool, Yvonne. I can picture Swami on her lounge chair on the newly stained deck. How nice.

Swami said...

Ooo - Yvonne is my new favorite person in the whole wide world. It's like you almost know Dean Koontz!

Random useless fact back atchya - the novelist Thomas Perry was in my freshman English class at Cornell. He even asked me on a date twice but I hemmed & hawed & back-pedaled because I was going out with this other guy at the time. Perry got annoyed & never asked me again. But I have enjoyed reading the novels he eventually wrote, especially his Jane Whitefield series.

The stain is still not fully dry, Puffy. No furniture out there yet - but Mr Swami & I have walked on the deck, cats & squirrels have walked on it and a downy woodpecker pooped on it right in front of me!

kim (weltek) said...

Ugh. I'm sorry you had to stain the big deck. I stained our front deck, which has no rail yet, so it's pretty darn easy to do with just a brush.

When we can afford it, I really want to rip up the front deck and put in Azek like we have in back.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and I like Dean Koontz. He's creepy and twisted. I haven't read anything by him in ages, though. I just looked at his bibliography and the most recent book I read by him was The Taking. Not my favorite. False Memory was kind of a cool one that I read around that same time.