Tuesday, November 13, 2007

This Just In...

Turns out, my evil sister Carole is still married to her fourth husband. !?!?! I thought she divorced him in late 2002 or early 2003. I thought this because:
(a) she moved out in early 2002
(b) she TOLD me she was getting divorced!
(c) she complained about how much of her money & assets he screwed her out of
(d) she went from being Carole StupidMarriedFrenchieName back to Carole MaidenName

Who reclaims their maiden name without getting divorced? Is that even legal? I am completely bemused by this development that she kind of let slip by accident in a conversation.

Her reasoning - so far as I can understand it - is that she would have felt like such a loser if she got divorced for the 4th time, so instead she just legally seperated from him. So she is not a loser divorcee.

I find the whole thing very strange. As I think back on it she tended to say things like "when Frenchie and I broke up" or "when Frenchie and I split," not "when Frenchie and I got divorced." Then again, whenever I said the "divorce" word about Frenchie she did not correct me. I wonder if her kids (who are not Frenchie's kids) know this!

I do not understand my sister.

5 comments:

MM said...

How strange! Although, when my brother left his wife recently, she has refused to file for divorce for the same reason. This will be her 3rd divorce. It's obvious they're done though, so I don't get it either.

momma said...

That is odd. Changing her name probably was done thru the legal seperation process, as was the asset split.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning of staying legally married, but hey...if it works for them..whatever.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's to prevent her from getting married for a 5th time. She can't really get married if she's not yet divorced.

Swami said...

I hope I hope I hope she never finds this blog.

And Boo? I think that's it in a nutshell. She's still a "married woman" so she can't go out and meet another loser.

Puffy said...

Possibly for insurance reasons?