I love garlic. I make lots of soups and stir-fries and put garlic in just about every time. So I am really annoyed that garlic just doesn't last very long anymore. You buy a nice, fat bulb and it totally dries up in about 2 weeks. It used to be you could buy a bunch of bulbs, keep them in a cool dark place and they would last for months. No more. I suspect it is because garlic (like eggs) is already several months or more old by the time it hits my grocer's shelves.
Used to be, you could buy eggs and they too would last for months. Now they come with expiration dates about 2 weeks past date of purchase - and they mean it! I read somewhere that most eggs you buy in a grocery store are close to one year old (their maximum, refrigerated lifespan) before they make it to the store shelf. That sucks. And they can still label them "fresh eggs"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh yeah - Thanksgiving.
For some reason I was really missing my late mother this Thanksgiving so I was kind of bummed all through it. Thanksgiving at my mom's was always chock full of fun and family.
*HUGS* fOR MISSING mOM. *SMOOCH*
Sorry for the all caps. Ooops.
My garlic tends to last a good long while. BUT? I live an hour and a half away from Gilroy which is the garlic capital of the world. So it gets here right fast. :)
*HUGS*
I love garlic but it doesn't love me. I can't eat too much. It runs right through me. *pout* Or should that be *poot* LOL.
I have noticed also that garlic doesn't last as long as it used to.
I didn't know that about eggs. Ick.
I know how you feel, missing your mom. We used my mom's silverware for our Thanksgiving dinner. We also used my dad's carving set.
ICKKKKKKKKK on the 1-year old eggs!!
Post a Comment